Kessil

Fish for nano

patchin

Supporting Member
Since we have red flat worms in our 12 ga nano, can anyone suggest a fish that would definitely munch on them? The tank is now fishless. I've heard damsels and wrasses might help. We put a six line in our big 50 and I haven't really seen him eat any off of the rocks. Also, is it cruel to have a single fish in a tank?
Thanks for your help

My yellow tailed blue devil is a flatworm mackin' machine. He/she lives alone in my QT and has for quite a while, I think he/she prefers to live alone. If I were to put another fish in there he/she would surely kill it.

If the tank is fishless how about a dose of flatworm exit? The toxins won't affect corals that much in the short term will they? Since corals can basically "close up". Just follow the directions, do water changes/run carbon after the fact.

Just a thought.

Thanks both of you for the advice.
Jeremy,
Just wanted you to know that all the frags i've gotten from you are looking good in my nano.
Does anyone have a suggestion for upgrading lighting for my 12 ga nano? It now has 48 watts PC. I'm afraid of heat problems with MH(I'd also have to dismantle the top. Are there short T5s that can be put into a nano hood?
Things look goodin the tank, I just sps would grow slowly, if at all, if I stay with the PCs.

There are short T5s but not many choices, and might not have luck finding aquarium style ones, and even if you could get them the reflectors to make them "efficient" would negate the space savings IMO. What are you wanting to grow in there nano? SPS? LPS & Softies? I'm using a 12g nano myself as a QT, I crammed 3-24w PC bulbs into the hood, I Could fit another one in easily but I lose the access of the small flip top, which isn't a big deal because the whole top comes up easily.

They do have 70w MH which would be nice for a nano, you probably could rig it up to work in your existing hood if you wanted, although the ones I've seen have been a clip on (but I don't like those myself simply because I don't want to have a bright light shining in my eye while I'm watching TV! :D). You're right about temperature though, that might be the deciding factor (depends how warm the room is normally as well!), unfortunately I don't have any actual experience with nanos & MH lighting (not much with nanos in general actually :)), but I'm trying one out just for a little "eye candy" in the living room that doesn't take up too much room.

Steve, is it possible to move your corals to your other tank (I think you said you have two?) and dose FW Exit if you're concerned about the corals? I think it's fairly safe otherwise, as long as you make sure to siphon out as many as you can before dosing, and during the treatment.

As for lighting, have you checked out www.nanotuners.com? Might be some ideas for you there...

I didn't use a kit, I simply replaced the ballasts (they were old magnetic ones, of which one didn't work and were for 18w bulbs) with an ADVANCE electronic ballast that fires 4-32w T8 bulbs (available at homedepot pro shop.. maybe regular one), a little wiring, with a socket holder I had around, and bammo done. However if you simply want to add a third bulb, you could simply use the 2 bulb ballast they sell (or 4 and overdrive them by adding 2 leads to each bulb!! although the bulbs will get noticeably hotter). I had to move the sockets for the bulbs against the outside wall as well since the 18w bulbs were shorter than 24w bulbs, but since you're already using 24w bulbs shouldn't be a problem.

Main compelling reason for only doing 3 bulbs, for now is because the acrylic "splash guard" could fit 3 in it, 1 space was reserved for the old ballast, but since I wired the new one outside the cube I tossed a bulb in there, and there did seem to be quite a bit of condensation from evaporation on the splash guard so thought it best to keep all that electronic stuff behind plastic. That and I literally wired the whole hood together the night before the swap, so kind of did it as a rush job without wanting to fabricate or cut any acrylic for a new splash guard.

But the reality of it, a cheap home depot brand ballast for T8 bulbs seems to fire the 24w bulbs at roughly the correct wattage (I checked with a kill-a-watt meter) and if anything runs them a little cooler extending the life of the bulbs. And get yourself some PC bulb sockets and you can modify anything, just need to do a bit of wiring which isn't much of a problem.

I put a 70w MH into a 7gal minibow stock hood. It's got a little PC fan to keep the temperatures in control. I've kept all sorts of SPS in it for ~4 years. I've also got a little peltier cooler on it. Other than scorching hot summer days, the tank stays at 77F.
The easier solution to planaria (red flatworms), especially in small tanks is to suck them out with a turkey baster and through a fine mesh net. After a few days of this and reduced feeding, they seem to "go away".

Back