Kessil

Fritz salt help!!!

brs had a sale on fritz when i bought my apex unit. wanted to try something else to match my sps parameters. i didnt like it cause of the inconsistent readings everytime i made 25g for a wc. i ended up giving it away and went back to the red sea blue, never had an issue with it.

Geeez I hoipe it's consistent. Amazon is out of IO Reef Crystals and couldn't fulfill my subscription so I bought 2 Fritz RPM Pro buckets because I'm out of salt.

Wow, so weird.

I am repeating above, but only problems I could think of:

1) You measured wrong.
Is the box about 1/5 empty now?

2) Salt mix settled or was never mixed at factory, so you have all of one ingredient.
Test Alk and CA levels of freshly mixed salt.

3) Salt is in some big semi-solid lump somewhere, maybe in your plumbing or stuck to bottom.
Is flow through jets good?
Feel around on the bottom of the barrel, is it still nice and smooth?

I learned one thing when I volunteered at a LFS for a year, and mixed up thousands and thousands of gallons of Fritz salt, as well as thousands of gallon of IO. The store sold both, and the very simple conclusion I came to was to never use Fritz salt.

Last edited:
Very very weird. Just as an FYI, any dissolved solI'd will change the refraction of water...whether it is salt, trace elements, sugar. So, assuming that you physically added the 20 cups to your water, your refractometer would have shown it....so weird indeed. I've been using Fritz for a few years (mostly because it mixes easily and quickly) at a rate of ~22c to 45gal And never seen a major issue.

I'd be interested in hearing about Bruce's experience at the LFS.

Nope! First batch of Fritz RPM Pro reading out at 13.5 dKH and 1.026 salinity

Ok so let me be fair here. I had some leftover mixed salt in the barrel. About 18g. That was IO Reef Crystals and a bit of regular IO. After the 44 g was full and mixed with the new Fritz it was reading 11.2 dKH. Too high so I dumped out about 15-20g and filled with RO and Fritz to get the 13.5 numberin the full 44g brute. So this batch is actually mixing higher than 13.5 dKH.

Toss it and try to get an online return and go to AC to pick up IO Reef or Red Sea blue bucket? My tank KH is 10.9 dKH and I want to bring it down not up. Which is why I tried the Fritz after Amazon being out of stock of IO Reef. It's supposed to mix at 8-9 dKH right???

Last edited:
I was pro Fritz salt for years. For the last year of using Fritz (blue box), i started noticing inconsistencies in the salt mix. I finally switched to Reef Crystals and i haven't looked back.

Nope! First batch of Fritz RPM Pro reading out at 13.5 dKH and 1.026 salinity

Ok so let me be fair here. I had some leftover mixed salt in the barrel. About 18g. That was IO Reef Crystals and a bit of regular IO. After the 44 g was full and mixed with the new Fritz it was reading 11.2 dKH. Too high so I dumped out about 15-20g and filled with RO and Fritz to get the 13.5 numberin the full 44g brute. So this batch is actually mixing higher than 13.5 dKH.

Toss it and try to get an online return and go to AC to pick up IO Reef or Red Sea blue bucket? My tank KH is 10.9 dKH and I want to bring it down not up. Which is why I tried the Fritz after Amazon being out of stock of IO Reef. It's supposed to mix at 8-9 dKH right???
Ok I'm embarrassed. My readings were way off because my refractometer was off and I didn't know it. Mixed another small batch to test for Fritz and found out I was wrong due to me not calibrating enough. Suffice to say my tanks have been running a bit hot salt wise for a month or 2.

New 5g batch tested at 1.026
10 Alk
450 Calcium
1360 Mag

Going to go clean gyres or something now...

Back