Neptune Aquatics

GSP control

I use underwater putty to control corals encrusting and algae patches that I can't fully remove. Cheap and easy. Just mix up a ball, flatten it out, then cover the area you want to smother out. Push the putty into crevasses to hold or add a dab of super glue.

Edit: Water Weld looks to be the same thing ^

Thanks I’m going to try this too, I have some encrusting corals that covered a corner in my display and I’m afraid going at it with bone cutters would damage the silicone. I’ve tried covering it with rubble but it wasn’t enough to kill it.

I use Aiptasia-X to kill unwanted soft coral, I have these brown star polyps that snuck in somehow. It’s easy, just cover the affected area, let sit for 1 hour, then suck it out with a water change.

I haven’t used it for GSP but I bet it will work, and seems easier than some of the other ideas.

Thanks I’m going to try this too, I have some encrusting corals that covered a corner in my display and I’m afraid going at it with bone cutters would damage the silicone. I’ve tried covering it with rubble but it wasn’t enough to kill it.
Do you know which specific putty to use? Most articles I've read online say not to add uncured putty to the tank.

Do you know which specific putty to use? Most articles I've read online say not to add uncured putty to the tank.

huh? Where’d you read that?

Pretty much every aquarium vendor has a two part epoxy that can be used wet in tank or dry. It will make your skimmer go a little crazy, so you should turn that off for a bit. But otherwise, reef safe and fine to use in tank.

Instant Ocean
Oceans Wonders
Seachem
Two Little Fishies
Tunze
Fluval

you can even use JB Weld 2-part epoxy?

huh? Where’d you read that?

Pretty much every aquarium vendor has a two part epoxy that can be used wet in tank or dry. It will make your skimmer go a little crazy, so you should turn that off for a bit. But otherwise, reef safe and fine to use in tank.

Instant Ocean
Oceans Wonders
Seachem
Two Little Fishies
Tunze
Fluval

you can even use JB Weld 2-part epoxy?
OK I've clearly been mistaken :)
I have a 13.5gal AIO, so no skimmer for me - do I need to drop an airstone in till the epoxy cures? Will it deplete the dissolved oxygen in the water column?

So unfortunate! The GSP was looking SOO good in the flow!

My plan of action is to smash the big GSP rock (mask for scale) and keep a small piece of it far away from my main rock work:

1615838436454.png

Then putty the bit circled in RED:
1615838492749.png

On the plus side, I will have a HUGE rock with GSP on it for grabs! Anyone want some?
Otherwise it goes in the trash :(

Now the question is - is it safe to take a hammer and chisel to the rock (outside the tank of course) with the GSP on it?
Or do I need a bandsaw?
I was able to cut the rock I had covered in GSP by using bone cutters. But my rock was small/brittle enough that a well placed cut sorta cracked the rock into 2. I think cutting through rock is supposed to be avoid since it will dull the bandsaw.

If you’re going to use a hammer I’d skip the chisel since you don’t need to be accurate. When I wanted to break up a larger rock in my tank I put it outside on a piece of cardboard to protect my sidewalk then hammered it and one hit managed to break the piece to little chunks.

And if anything goes wrong I’m happy to replace your gsp

I was able to cut the rock I had covered in GSP by using bone cutters. But my rock was small/brittle enough that a well placed cut sorta cracked the rock into 2.

If you’re going to use a hammer I’d skip the chisel since you don’t need to be accurate. When I wanted to break up a larger rock in my tank I put it outside on a piece of cardboard to protect my sidewalk then hammered it.
A wise man once said - "Every tool's a hammer!"
I'm using Reef Rock 2.1 and its not brittle in any way.
Hammer it is!

Thanks!

If you have a masonry chisel to use with the hammer I’d recommend it. It makes it a bit more refined/controlled. The HULK SMASH technique with just a hammer is ok too I guess if you don’t really care what pieces you end up with.

So unfortunate! The GSP was looking SOO good in the flow!

My plan of action is to smash the big GSP rock (mask for scale) and keep a small piece of it far away from my main rock work:

View attachment 24857

Then putty the bit circled in RED:
View attachment 24858

On the plus side, I will have a HUGE rock with GSP on it for grabs! Anyone want some?
Otherwise it goes in the trash :(
A local store will take it. I’ve taken GSP to Neptune and Clear Water. I swapped rocks with Clear Water, gave them GSP covered, and they gave me clean rock.

Back