Heater issue

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jorahx4, Feb 4, 2018.

1. jorahx4

jorahx4 Supporting Member

So I have a heater set to 77 degrees. But it mostly keeps my tank at 74-75. Is the issue I have to small of heater for my tank? Would I need to get a more powerful one or maybe a second one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

What size heater is it and size of tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. jorahx4

20g innovative marine.
    Eheim Jager TruTemp 75 heater.

4. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

I have several Eheim heaters and none of them are accurate according to the selected temp. on some you can adjust the pointer so that it points at the actual temp.

5. jorahx4

Yeah mine has the dial on the top that I have turned to 77. But I've been watching it every day for past few days and it doesn't get the temp to 77.

6. Baykes

Baykes Webmaster

Maybe try setting it to 79 and then get 77?

Coral reefer likes this.
  7. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

The one I set up today is set at 72 and the tank is 78

8. jorahx4

I thought about that. But didn't want it to have it randomly jump from 75 to 79. And shock the animals.

9. Buy a used Apex or other controller. :) Makes a huge difference.

10. jorahx4

I plan to buy a controller after I get my house.

11. jorahx4

Been reading and researching the ghl and apex. The apex trident sounds amazing this summer.

12. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

You can adjust the TruTemp dial with readjustment ring for an accurate reading

Coral reefer likes this.
  13. Baykes

Baykes Webmaster

I think you heater is the right size. I ran a 100W on my 24 gallon but I dont think that is totally necessary. It is also possible that depending on what you are using to measure the temperature is off calibration and therefore producing a false reading. Ultimately, your temperature is still in a good range.

14. jorahx4

15. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

If I had to redo it again I would go ghl. For one of you fail a firmware update there is recovery. I had to sent my old apex back and new wifi apex back due to bad firmware updates. For something this important to your system there should be a fail safe reflash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. jorahx4

I like how the ghl director looks.

17. capescuba

capescuba Supporting Member

Amen to that! Better than just blaming customers wifi, crazy they don't have this

18. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

I got a great Aqua Controller Jr. just for temp control. It was really affordable used. I ended up putting 6 different modules and two EB4's on it and it's fully controlling my tank now.

ATK, Heater, Chiller, VDM (controlling my return), DOS pump, algae reactor light/fan, ATO Reservoir refill, AFS and probably some other things I forgot about.

19. We don't take advice from guests! :)

Flagg37 likes this.
  20. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Ha. He’s waiting for the cfm so he can sign up and be entered into the raffle.