Cali Kid Corals

Here I am, again.

neuro

Webmaster
Hi everyone

I started in, I think in 2004 with a 10 gallon; then moved up to a 40 gallon quickly. I had to take a break in 2008 and then started up a 10 gallon about a year and a half ago before moving up to what I have now: a 60 gallon cube.

The only things I still have from my 40 gallon days, is a pair of mated percs, one true and one false. I was fortunate to have a close friend that could house them while I was on hiatus. I swear percs are bullet proof.

More recently I have come to a sobering but lucid realization about the aquarium hobby: The price we pay for our coral and other livestock comes at too high of a cost in both a fiscal and reef-threatening manner. This hobby should be about the proliferation and conservation of whatever I am capable of rearing in my tank. In order for us to restore what we took, there should be little to no barrier between propagating coral from my tank to another. I can only hope that the same philosophy is also adopted by the recipient.

Despite my rather long but spotted history, I have still been making mistakes. I intend to make less of them this time around; that includes my approach to reef preservation.

Cheers all!

Welcome back!

I agree that reef preservation is very important. When I scuba-dived around an underwater mountain reef in the Philippines, it's a remarkable experience!
It's too bad I can't live there to SCUBA every day.

The unfortunate fact is that many of us like eye-candy and we rely on various vendors in the aquarium supply chain to provide them. It is often sad to think that beautiful whole colonies are brought in only to be chopped up. Hopefully these are maricultured or aquacultured, instead of straight from the wild. But I think to make profit, wild is obviously easier & cheaper.

We can try to DBTC and/or trade amongst fellow reefers as a few options...

Back