Jestersix

Holiday BAR Event - Saturday, Dec 19

RSVP

• Total voters
I’d pick one up if possible
Of course. Sent you a text.
Also have filters in today's mail for three people. I think I've replied to everyone, but if you don't have a reply from me I didn't get your message.
Does the filter actually give "true colors" though? Or does it just knock back the over abundance of blue? I've noticed most filters give quite a bit of "fake color" especially to corals that fluoresce quite a bit. Now I'm not showing off the lagoon for all the aiptasia and cyano in it currently, but maybe I can get a piece via Mike and do some testing to compare to my current camera filters.
As people have mentioned above, most filters knock it back, some get closer than others. The filter I have just happened to be right for the camera/software I was using at the time. Some care is still needed like anything else. It enables you to make an accurate image, but you still could make an inaccurate image if you wanted to. In my case if I use the filter mid day it looks close to correct. If I use the filter in the evening the resulting image is closer to the mid day view than the actual blueish evening appearance.

Does anyone have any apps to recommend that make it easier to do White balance adjustments? I was playing around with the Adobe Lightroom app but couldn’t get it to work well
I've heard of a few "clean up" apps for taking aquarium photos, but they don't work in real time so if you were doing a tank tour via zoom that wouldn't work.

Worst case scenario, you could always dial back the blue and up the whites. Now I know you won't get the fluorescent pop that you normally do, but it may look nicer on video.

Does anyone have any apps to recommend that make it easier to do White balance adjustments? I was playing around with the Adobe Lightroom app but couldn’t get it to work well
On iPhone, Camera+ app (3rd party app) works well for still pics. Won’t help with sharing via Zoom though.

On iPhone, Camera+ app (3rd party app) works well for still pics. Won’t help with sharing via Zoom though.
I found something similar that was free. I doubled the white channels normal values and tuned the wb and tint options until it looked close to what I see. It was a little darker than I saw, but pretty good!
4200D261-2DB6-4E6D-BA52-30F73329DAE6.jpeg

I’m not gonna be able to make it anymore but will try to shoot a video and add it to my journal

What poll?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have to be on the website. Here’s a link to this thread so you can access it that way. It works great in Firefox or safari for me.

It was great to see everyone!

Charles’s talk was interesting and really gave a feel for the tremendous effort that is always going on behind the scenes to make an exhibit happen.

I liked Art’s refrigerated auto feeder and especially how he was able to show his build so clearly.

Of course seeing people’s tanks is always fun. And one of the things I’ve missed most in the time of COVID.

Last edited:
BAR BODs and participating members -- thank you for making this happen! The scale of California Academy's work is incredible. The stories, photos and videos Charles shared made for a great afternoon. We've got such diverse methods, interests, and know-how among our members. So impressed and grateful for the club.

Back