got ethical husbandry?

Horseshoe crab???

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
So I'm at pet club getting cat food and dog treat and they have a horse shoe crab. Are they reef safe? It's kinda neat.
20201009_165413.jpg

They grow really big and clumsily knock stuff around. Need a lot of sand in a huge tank to get enough to eat. Not recommended.

I have really wanted to get one. I used to work with a blood product from them used to detect bacterial contamination. Plus they have blue blood based on copper, are related to arachnids with shells, and are a lot older than the dinosaurs in the fossil record.

But no, not recommended :(

They grow really big and clumsily knock stuff around. Need a lot of sand in a huge tank to get enough to eat. Not recommended.

I have really wanted to get one. I used to work with a blood product from them used to detect bacterial contamination. Plus they have blue blood based on copper, are related to arachnids with shells, and are a lot older than the dinosaurs in the fossil record.

LAL testing! I have always thought it was interesting they use their blood for that...

For me it is hard to believe that this test is still an FDA requirement for pharmaceuticals to this day.

Back