Kessil

How Do You Have a Bay Area Safe RODI System, and Fill Up Your ATO Container?

I’m not sure.

my understanding is that the waste water does go through the membrane a little as well. If I’m wrong I definitely want to know.

It's funny that we call RO/DI waste water "Waste". When really it is water that has gone through all your prefilters. So although it does contain a higher concentration of whatever your RO membrane is rejecting, it also starts off a lot cleaner than whatever is coming out of your pipes.

V

It's funny that we call RO/DI waste water "Waste". When really it is water that has gone through all your prefilters. So although it does contain a higher concentration of whatever your RO membrane is rejecting, it also starts off a lot cleaner than whatever is coming out of your pipes.

V
Its still a waste product of our process. But ya, I agree.

For freshwater shrimp tanks they need a somewhat high tds. In theory, if it removed the chlorine and chloramines in the prefilters would rodi waste water be okay to use for a shrimp tank?

For freshwater shrimp tanks they need a somewhat high tds. In theory, if it removed the chlorine and chloramines in the prefilters would rodi waste water be okay to use for a shrimp tank?

I believe so. Like @Vincerama2 said, the water is cleaner than tap. its just a little more concentrated with the things that sediment and carbon dont remove than if it wasnt "waste" water. The "waste" water from an RO unit is essentially the same as the water going into it.

Folks,
I am looking to set up an RODI system at home. Does this look like a good setup for the Bay Area?
I have two old 4 stage RODI systems, which I am planning on cascading to get more stages.

Currently looking at this progression:
Purtrex 1 Micron sediment filter -> BRS Universal 1 Micron Carbon Block -> DOW 75 GPD RO Membrane -> BRS Color Changing DI Resin -> product water

Not sure if i need the Chloraguard Carbon Block.

Planning on purchasing everything from BRS. Unless Neptune / AC have cheaper options.

1601683034687.png

Folks,
I am looking to set up an RODI system at home. Does this look like a good setup for the Bay Area?
I have two old 4 stage RODI systems, which I am planning on cascading to get more stages.

Currently looking at this progression:
Purtrex 1 Micron sediment filter -> BRS Universal 1 Micron Carbon Block -> DOW 75 GPD RO Membrane -> BRS Color Changing DI Resin -> product water

Not sure if i need the Chloraguard Carbon Block.

Planning on purchasing everything from BRS. Unless Neptune / AC have cheaper options.

View attachment 20339
With 2, 4stage setups, you should be able to do this...
20201002_171150.jpg

Sediment/carbon/carbon/ro/ro/ cation di/ aniondi/ mixed bed di

That’s what I was envisioning, but since I have only a 13.5gal tank, does it make sense to spend $112?

That comes out to using 160gal of LFS RODI to just break even.

Also, I didn’t count the toll I pay on the H-SM bridge + gas to go to AC. Accounting for that, it does make sense.

Would y’all recommmend using both 1mixron carbon blocks or one 1 micron and one 5micron?

I only recommend the BRS universal carbon blocks. I haven’t tried anything else.

definitely use the .5 micron sediment filter and replace it often. This protects the carbon blocks and helps them last a long time.

Unfortunately the expensive one. But if you protect it, for a tank your size they might last a long long time. I’m over a year on mine and going strong.

Back