Neptune Aquatics

How to fish? I'm new at this...

Hi every, I just bought a starter kit from South Bend, which comes with a pole, a reel, and a tackle filled with lures, and hooks. Well I have some questions of how to fish, and set up my lines.

My history in fishing started when I was in middle school. My brother taught my how to fish with a little thin bamboo stick and some lines with a single hooks and weight 1oz. Once middle school days were over, I stop fishing and didn't really like it anymore. Over the last weekend, Friday the 3rd of July 2009, I tried fishing with a real ready to fish pole from Cala... something, It's a reno fishing pole brand that my nephew have. It's an 6 foot long pole that comes with a basic reel with a housing for the lines inside. After fished one fish, Smelt(if that how i suppose to spell it), I started to like it.

Yesterday, I decided to follow my brother to check out some fishing supplies and pole and I found this really cool combo pole from South Bend.

Well, the combo came pretty much with everything i need. I bought some thicker line just in case my 10lb line snap, but I'm not going to install it yet.

The question is, how do i set up the hook on a line and connect to a leader line?
I heard that I need a license to fish, but how much just for the summer?

You can buy a day license or a full year IIRC, sadly no seasonal licenses. I believe the laws are different when it comes to fishing off of a man made structure, in that case you don't need a license. I'm not exactly sure where the state draws the line on that though.

AFA hooking up your leader it really depends on what you are going after, that really dictates how you string everything up.

The license is like $50 and well worth it. I'd get it even if your going to fish of piers and such.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/ols/intro.html

And check these out as you'll need to be up on them. Ignorance of the law is illegal after all.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Fishing/

Unless the laws have changed ocean fishing from a public pier does not require a license. However it needs to be a public pier, so no private property fishing. Of course I always see guys fishing at ocean beach from the beach, I'm curious how many fish one can catch there, however being as the sewage treatment plant is right there, don't know if I'd really trust fish from that spot :D

You don't need a license to fish on public piers, jetty's. CA has two free fishing days. July 4 and Sept. 7 when you can fish without a license. the CA license cost $41.20 for resident. if you wish to fish for a day, a day license cost $13.40 so it's well worth buying the license. If you fish the bay, you'll need bay/ delta stamp $6.30. 10lbs line if sufficient if you're fishing for small fish. I fish the ocean and typically have lines between 25-40LBS.
Good luck and tight lines,
Jack

Anyone have any suggestions for fishing the coast for 'buts or stripers? I'll be down in UC Santa Cruz area tomorrow for half a day and thought I might as well toss a line in while I'm at the coast. Only thing is, I only have a 7.5' light trout rod and 4lb line spooled available to me right now. Is it even worth it? Bringing something home to eat would be great, and would love to have it not be perch.

Not worth it around here as you have to get through a large surf zone. best place is out at Manresa or the Cement Ship. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=545

For a rod equipped like that I'd head to the harbor and do some jetty fishing. Hopefully you catch into a little rock fish or eel :)

Thanks guys for you info. Well i might get an one day license because I'm not going fish very often, I'm only an beginner and I don't want to be really into fishing that much.

As for hooks, I like to catch small fish, does anyone have any idea how to set up an hook with a leader line? What is AFA btw?

nanocube-boy said:
As for hooks, I like to catch small fish, does anyone have any idea how to set up an hook with a leader line? What is AFA btw?

It all depends on where you are fishing and what you want to catch.

AFA means "as far as"

nanocube-boy said:
Thanks guys for you info. Well i might get an one day license because I'm not going fish very often, I'm only an beginner and I don't want to be really into fishing that much.

You might want to try going out on a party boat. I'm sure most of them can set you up with all the gear and teach you a few things.
Small hook= small fish. Big hook=big fish

I see. Thanks Tuberider. Well I assume my rod is made for fish, like for 10lbs, or under because the rod is only 6 feet long and the line is made for 10lbs. I did bought an 25lb line because i might install that later on, once I'm starting to get use to fishing. Smelt are the best for beginners, in my experience because it's an easy fish to deal with. I love catch smelt in Sousalito area because they are every where. They are very easy to catch, and fight with. I like to play tug a war with them with the pole sometime.

nanocube-boy said:
My brother own several boats and he does charter too... Though, I hate sea sick, and I don't think i can hang. Thanks for the Tip JAR
I have an a few ideas for you!
1. Dramamine
2. Ask your brother how to fish.
The internet is not your answer.
Just go fishing with your bro.
Only my opinion.

Yes.
This is me, my boat and my friend Sluggo. :bigsmile:
P1010115-1.jpg

Damn long ride for me and a rough one heading up at the wrong time :)

Back