I finally get to join the big tank club!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Fish Boss, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Fish Boss

Fish Boss Supporting Member

So I just pulled the trigger on buying a used oceanson 160g flat back hex. Dimensions are roughly 60"x21.5"x31.5". It's going to be a b**** to reach the bottom of the tank, but overall I am very happy with. So stoked to get it up and running. Looks like this

Attached Files:

capescuba, tankguy and coral4me like this.
  2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Congrats. I hate all those corners tho. Or are they bends?

3. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Never heard of that brand before. Are they new?

4. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster

Looks like some Chinese brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Kim Pattison

Kim Pattison Supporting Member

If it is acrylic be sure to clean the panels very regularly. The coraline will be impossible to remove if it gets a foothold. I love the big tanks but after having a 240 acrylic it will be glass from now on.

6. Size matters.

Kim Pattison likes this.
  7. Fish Boss

Definitely glass, older tank, the website i found the picture on was a chinese website. Ive never seen a " new " flat back hex, think they are an old design. Imagine a regular rectangle or cube tank, with the corners cut on a 45 degree angle. Thats essentially what this tank is

8. Fish Boss

I finally picked up the tank! Now I just have to clean it up and slowly piece it together. Can't wait to start a tank journal on this bad boy. It's really interesting how the front pane of glass is one piece. Normally when I see curves like with this tank, it's acrylic

Attached Files:

capescuba likes this.
  9. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Nice!
    Looking forward to the tank thread.
    Interesting that it is glass. Lucky. I agree that Acrylic can be a pain (which is what I have)

What are dimensions?
    It does not look like 60" long you mention above. Maybe 30" or 36"?

Fish Boss likes this.
  10. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Somewhere online I saw a glass tank where the joints were at 45* angle

11. Fish Boss

I pulled out the tape measure, it was 48" x 23 x 31.5 Oh well. I think I want make this a bare bottom SPS dominant reef. Low bioload, lots of flow throughout the tank. I think it would be to cool to have an encrusting coral cover the bottom