High Tide Aquatics

ID of Egglike Bits

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Anybody know what these circular bits are?
Light brown
looks like a cooked egg with yolk in the center
Thin but rigid
Largest one could be 1/8” but most are smaller
Lots of them together hanging on dead frag or edge of sandbed at the glass
B0CFEDC6-10E3-4D88-85A2-0E1C7B0378FB.jpeg

Here are a bunch in the sand and glass. Was hoping they are tiny snails and not sinister but they seem too flat to be snails.
24EC3670-E7CC-4C4D-9FF4-05AE4CA12D79.jpeg

Does it have any shell or encrustation or its worm like?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
So small and thin. Can’t actually see anything living/moving. Close-up photo resembles a spiral shell forming. That one was part of a bunch gathered on brown macroalgae.

My guess is algae, sort of looks like mermaids cup. But I’ve never seen anything like that before. Do you have a microscope somewhere at your school?

Looked at it under a dissecting scope only. Can view with serious magnification on Monday. I will search for info and pics of mermaids cup before then. I have no idea what that is but the name is calming me down.

I think ita a type of snail. O cannot remember the name but there is a coral pest that is a small snail that have spiral structure...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Those are likely vermetid hatchlings that are just starting to form shells. If you scratch one off, it'll be flat with those spirals...or just wait and see :D

I have some growing in my tank... i didn't mind them at first but in hindsight...they probably took out a lof ot my stock over time

You initially said they are rigid- they look a snail shell to me, but I don’t recognize the type of snail. It doesn’t really look like a vermetid snail to me, and I don’t see any tubes even starting. But the key would be if you see them put out mucus webs, those are the give away. You have enough that you would see the webs easily if they are there I think. Do they move at all?

Back