Cali Kid Corals

Important Security Notice - Spectre/Meltdown Vulnerabilities

This is a heads up that there is an upcoming maintenance window to address recent security vulnerabilities revolving computer processors and their ability to read memory. Below is a message from a hosting provider that will affect the uptime of this site for the aforementioned timeline below. Please keep this in mind and be prepared for when the site comes down (more than likely) in order to address this security vulnerability. Thanks!

Second Notice-Information only, no action necessary on your part. We
have got you covered.

Recently you received communication from us regarding an update and
reboot to your server to address two recently
announced, high-profile, security vulnerabilities that have come to be
known as "Meltdown" and "Spectre". We are reaching out again to inform
you that we were unable to perform the necessary patching and reboot of
your Cloud server(s) during our previous maintenance. We are therefore
going to schedule an additional maintenance window for
Wednesday, January 10th, from 10:00 PM EST to Thursday, January 11th
09:00 AM EST.

These vulnerabilities require immediate attention and Liquid Web is
taking them very seriously as they pose a risk of secure information
being accessed by rogue programs and hackers. We are aggressively
working with all of our hardware and software vendors to remediate
exposure and protect your servers in the least impactful manner
possible.

During this maintenance we will also be patching and rebooting our Cloud
infrastructure. The patch to your server and the upgrade to our
infrastructure will be coordinated to ensure that you experience only a
single reboot wherever possible.

Further status updates are available
at: https://status.liquidweb.com

Hey guys, sorry that the website had been down for a few days. It was related to the above maintenance and I wasn't able to get to looking at the issue until recently. I have been focusing on work and attending a lot of doctor's appointments so the site, unfortunately, was one of those things that got deprioritized.

Anyway, it's operational now and I hope no other future maintenances will break the site. I still have plans on launching the newest version of XenForo so stay tuned about any updates here in the Website portion of the site. Thanks for your patience!

Hey guys, sorry that the website had been down for a few days. It was related to the above maintenance and I wasn't able to get to looking at the issue until recently. I have been focusing on work and attending a lot of doctor's appointments so the site, unfortunately, was one of those things that got deprioritized.

Anyway, it's operational now and I hope no other future maintenances will break the site. I still have plans on launching the newest version of XenForo so stay tuned about any updates here in the Website portion of the site. Thanks for your patience!

Not sure if this is possible as I don't know the full extent of our hosting contract, but is there any chance that you could find another member to share the admin info with so that if you're not available if there's a problem someone else can look into it. I'm pretty certain we have a umber of competent programmers as members.

Thank you :) , you are the best

Not sure if this is possible as I don't know the full extent of our hosting contract, but is there any chance that you could find another member to share the admin info with so that if you're not available if there's a problem someone else can look into it. I'm pretty certain we have a umber of competent programmers as members.
Yes.
We should have some redundancy, at least some one else should have the admin details. I can volunteer to at least document a few things (basic run book with contact & access details). Club president (and probably the governance body as whole) can use that to communicate with during an emergency.

Reactions: JVU
Denzil, thanks so much for getting everything working again! Understandable that you had other more important and pressing things going on, we’ve all been there I think.

I agree that we need 2 members to have all the credentials and knowledge needed to run/maintain/troubleshoot the website. The site is the lifeblood of BAR and just too important to not have redundancy.

Members come and go, interest in BAR and reefkeeping is cyclical for people, life gets in the way, and just in general it’s not fair to put everything on one member’s shoulders.

I would suggest that this is important enough to have the Board weigh in and make a rule about it.

Back