Our mission

In the beginning...

So as far as the order, it looks like if I'm going to have any fairy wrasses, they should be first along with the goby. After that maybe the eel and coral beauty. Then all the tangs. The mandarin will be last after the the pods have become established.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Ideally, it would be mandarin 1st. So it can settle, find its spot and start eating.

If you have all those fish zooming around, it may go into hiding n starve.

The wrasses should be added all together if you can.

As should the tangs.

I would seed the tank with as much pods as I can as often as I can, feeding phyto everyday.

Add the mandarin, goby, n eel.

I would lump the coral beauty in with the tangs and add all at the same time.

Then add the wrasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ideally, it would be mandarin 1st. So it can settle, find its spot and start eating.

If you have all those fish zooming around, it may go into hiding n starve.

The wrasses should be added all together if you can.

As should the tangs.

I would seed the tank with as much pods as I can as often as I can, feeding phyto everyday.

Add the mandarin, goby, n eel.

I would lump the coral beauty in with the tangs and add all at the same time.

Then add the wrasses.

I had wanted to add the mandarin in the first round but was afraid I couldn't get enough pods established and propagating. I suppose I can add a fuge light and throw some chaeto in and a bag of tisbe pods and get it started now. Ammonia is gone and nitrites are on the way down.

The article I read on live aquaria was saying to try to add the wrasses before any more aggressive fish. Your recommendation would still be to add them after the tangs and angel?

I finally put some polyurethane on the access panel and decided to put chalkboard paint on the recessed panel so I can write notes and reminders on it. I did it on both inside and out.

IMG_3995.JPG
IMG_3996.JPG

I'll probably do like a shopping list and maintenance reminders or something like that.

I had wanted to add the mandarin in the first round but was afraid I couldn't get enough pods established and propagating. I suppose I can add a fuge light and throw some chaeto in and a bag of tisbe pods and get it started now. Ammonia is gone and nitrites are on the way down.

The article I read on live aquaria was saying to try to add the wrasses before any more aggressive fish. Your recommendation would still be to add them after the tangs and angel?

I find my tangs ignore wrasses. So either first is fine.

You can feed the tank pods every week or so till you are comfortable you have enough.

It can get expensive!

*Big sigh* well I had my second experience with water outside the tank.

I was tired of manually topping off the tank every day so @Vhuang168 let me borrow one of his spare ato's. I set it up and watched it fill to its limit then heard the pump shut off so I left it. A couple hours later I saw a stream of water in my garage coming from the wall where the tank is. I immediately thought of the ato and unplugged it even though I didn't hear the pump running. Then I got a bunch of towels.
IMG_4008.JPG

I still was trying to determine how this happened. It's a tunze ato with both an optical sensor and a secondary float switch. Here it is fully submerged with the float switch up.
IMG_4007.JPG

It occurred to me that my reservoirs are higher than my sump so gravity allowed it to continue to flow after the pump turned off. Once I came to this realization I promptly pulled the tube out of the sump and watched it flow freely on my garage floor. So I lifted it up above and secured it to stop it.

I had just filled up my barrels last night and checked now to see that it was about 1/2 full. This means there was about 25-30 gallons of water that had flowed into my sump. There's probably about 5-10 gallons of available volume in the sump before it overflows so that means there's about 20-25 gallons of water on my living room floor.

I soaked up as much as I could with towels and even used my vacuum on it, which did a good job of pulling moisture to the surface of the carpet where my fans are blowing across it.

I thought the same thing. I almost bought a couple fish yesterday. The apex shows my salinity at 26.8 right now. I think that's probably fine for the tisbe pods I just added but not likely for fish.

Oh no! I'm glad you were not away on vacation. Weird timing to have a flood unrelated to the rain.
Now you have me thinking. I have the Apex leak detector which actually served me well when it notified me and I learned the skimmer was volcanoing. I also have a Tunze ATO but I do not have it hooked up to the Apex.
Sounds like you're taking care of the carpet. Sorry you had to deal with this issue.

It's kind of ironic that you mention the leak detector. I thought about getting it before I had any water in the tank but decided that I would just be really careful. That plan has proven to be ineffective.

Sucky! I made the same mistake, but I got siphons both ways because I had the end of the ATO tube in the sump water. When the ATO drained to a certain level, water from the sump siphoned back into the ATO. Or when i filled it up to the brim, the ATO would drain. But I only have a 5 gallon ATO so I don't have water overflow.

I ended up mounting a rigid 1/2" quick connect tube that sits in the the sump and the opening is high up in my cabinet. Then I put the ATO tubing at that point.

It's kind of ironic that you mention the leak detector. I thought about getting it before I had any water in the tank but decided that I would just be really careful. That plan has proven to be ineffective.

I should have a Coralife water alarm, loud as hell; if you want it I can dive in the basement and pull it out.
I don't think I disposed of it.

Back