High Tide Aquatics

January meeting- water testing

Anyone interested in a water testing 'how to' for the things normally tested regularly like, Alk, Mg, Ca, NO3-, Ph?

This will be offered a half hour before the meeting at 12:30.

Please post here if you would like to participate.

It is suggested you bring a water sample from your tank. And that you bring your test kits. BAR members will be showing how to do a proper test, and helping with testing samples.

This will be a great space to talk with others about what they test and how often, or under what conditions they test.

2nd Saturday of the month? Because damn I'll be going to SoCal that weekend and while I could squeeze the meeting in, I'll be driving, so I'll want fresh driving legs.

My tank is not setup yet, but as a rookie, this would be very helpful. Please count me in.

Also, I'm not sure if its okay, but can we do video recordings of BAR workshops, and then post them, or if you wanted to just put in a BAR Member only section. I'm sure there are tons of information around the web, but videos are always cool.

I like the idea of short how to videos being posted by BAR :) Gives us not only more exposure (if we host on YouTube) but it also educates others.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like we are on for a testing how to this Saturday at 12:30. I am not vid savy, and will ask here if anyone has equipment and can shoot, maybe we try for this event? We could ask everyone attending if they would like to be included or not.

Shorts like this would fit one of the upcoming topics for the club to consider this year. A larger audience for BAR.

I have a compact HD video cam and will bring it as primary or backup video capability. I'm good with YouTube uploads and may sign on for ongoing video taping........ :glasses:

Anyone else planning to join us? One person has offered to lead. If a large group is coming I would like to ask others to help.

So far we should all fit in one group. If you are planning to come and have not posted, please do so now.

Thanks,

I'm in for the water testing session. See you guys tomorrow at 11:30. It'll be interesting to find out what I'm doing wrong.

Just confirming that batteries are charged, I've got the tripod and we're ready to record see all at 12:30. I'll be able to create high quality DVD's and will plan to upload the MPEG version to YouTube for web retrieval anytime.

Thanks to Bryan and Tony for taking the lead in the discussion about what and why to test. I liked that it was more theory rather than practice of testing. Some may have liked more practice so another testing session could be arranged for a more hands on class.

Here are a couple nuggets I picked up.

The testing bottles do not dispense even drop size person to person even. I knew that they are uneven if from the side compared to bottle fully inverted.

I am still in the new phase so testing regularly, and over time I will learn to 'listen' to the corals so I should be looking at them now to see how and why they react as the parameters move around some.

Does anyone have practice questions still unanswered? Anyone want a more hands on demonstration? John and I will be working on a video for testing since we did not get a chance today to film.

Thank you all for coming out.

I hope they warned about chasing numbers :) I always get in trouble when I start chasing numbers.

Thank you for conducting this training session today. Even though I arrived really late (after wandering around the college trying to find the meeting room), I learned important information. Those of us who stayed after the meeting appreciated Bryan's testing of our water for phosphates. And I went right after the meeting to buy a new alkalinity test kit!

Sorry I missed this. My car clunked out about 200 yards from the San Mateo Bridge and I need to get it towed twice. Hopefully the video turns out well so I can see what I missed.
Patrick

Back