Jeff's 120

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by zambavi, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Apon

Apon Volunteer

You know what I say about skimmers, but I degress....pic 1 and 2 I believe are deep water acro....lokani I think. My Guess.

2. Lyn

Lyn Guest

I love your cowrie, but I thought they were very difficult to keep? What does it eat?

3. Roc

Roc Guest

Jeff the tank is looking real good, the frag tank is amazing. I really can't wait to see what this thing looks like all together

4. zambavi

zambavi Guest

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=4762.msg86244#msg86244 date=1236170301]
    I love your cowrie, but I thought they were very difficult to keep? What does it eat?
    [/quote]

The cowrie is a lot of fun... as far as difficult to keep I think the main thing is that they are very intolerant of high nitrate levels. I've kept one cowrie or another over the last few years and they have always been a guage for me of where my nitrate levels are at. When their membrane is extended regularly as it shows in the picture I can be pretty certain of my nitrates being less than 5 (proved by experience). If not.... I can be pretty confident my nitrates have crawled up some and it's time for a water change.... Cowries are grazers and constantly look for algae and food scraps on the rocks. Though they are considered reef safe when they get larger they are known to eat sponge, soft corals and generally damage corals as they cruze around the tank knocking stuff over. I plan on moving him into my fuge before I do any coral scaping on this tank.

5. zambavi

zambavi Guest

[quote author=Roc link=topic=4762.msg86253#msg86253 date=1236178169]
    Jeff the tank is looking real good, the frag tank is amazing. I really can't wait to see what this thing looks like all together
    [/quote]

Thanks man... it's been a lot of fun so far. I plan on getting a lot done on it this weekend so more updates and pics to come.

6. A_Lee

A_Lee Guest

Looks great!

7. Roc

Roc Guest

Man jelious, those things are sweet.

8. saltwatersig

saltwatersig Volunteer

WT? I thought it was a pic from the Steinhart Aquarium :D Nice set up , plenty of room for more corals Jeff :)

9. zambavi

zambavi Guest

Thanks serg... and yes... lots of room for more corals.... I actually have about 10 different kinds of caps that I'll be mounting on the back wall above and below my vortechs w/ magnets once they come in. My frag tank is still full so I have lots to move in still... taking my time though and only putting in the stuff I really like.

10. saltwatersig

saltwatersig Volunteer

there you go......the man with the plan....most of us try to fill up spaces and later regretfully need to thin out the herd to make room for corals you really want in your display. tank looks really nice Jeff.

11. Roc

Roc Guest

[quote author=saltwatersig link=topic=4762.msg89356#msg89356 date=1237270321]
    there you go......the man with the plan....most of us try to fill up spaces and later regretfully need to thin out the herd to make room for corals you really want in your display. tank looks really nice Jeff.
    [/quote]

I can't wait for this to be my problem, it would be great to be like , man I need to thin out some of these corals theres no room for them to grow......

Tanks looking good Jeff

12. zambavi

zambavi Guest

I got a nice suprise in the mail this morning
    My RKE with Net Module and extra RKM-PC4 came in. I know what I'm doing after work today!
    Came packaged very well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. zambavi

zambavi Guest

Finally got my Black eggcrate in... 3 sheets of 2' by 4'...

Completely redid my eggcrate racks in the frag tank. I like it SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better.>[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. zambavi

zambavi Guest

So really a crappy shot but I thought I'd go ahead and throw a FTS up. I'll try and post a better one later. Really looking forward to everything growing in.
    [​IMG]

15. zambavi

zambavi Guest

In a trade with Jeremy today I scored a couple of really nice pieces of coral to grow out. Just got them dipped and acclimated to my frag tank.

ATL Sunrise Milli and Jeremys FAD coral...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. zambavi

zambavi Guest

I'm really starting to get some nice color out of the frags I've collected over the past couple months via the DBTC, Swap and LFS's.... I thought I'd post a quick before and after on a coral that has suprised me. I'm actually not sure where I got this one I have picked up so many corals lately.... so if it's a DBTC please point me in the right direction so I can post updates on the DBTC thread. I'm pretty sure it still has some more coloring up to do but I'm happy with what it has done so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. zambavi

zambavi Guest

Got some fun toys in....

Replacing the combined 8 ph's i've got going on between my DT and Frag T... with...

THIS

[​IMG]

the 20 is going in the frag tank to replace a Koralia 3 and 2 Koralia 2's while the 2 40's are going in the DT to replace the 4 Koralia 4's and the Tunze 6060.

Got the 20 installed in the frag tank.... way less cluttered... and the movement is very nice.

[​IMG]

Also got the 40's installed in the DT and spent most my day today doing some coral scaping and FINALLY putting some color in my DT. FTS with the changes coming soon...

18. zambavi

zambavi Guest

Got my RKE set up.... I'm loving it. Very cool little machine.

[​IMG]

19. zambavi

zambavi Guest

Picked up this coral last Thursday from Aquatic Gallary.... they cut me this tiny little frag... by the time I got home it was all white and completely colorless... but here we are less than a week later and it is coloring back up nicely.

[​IMG]

My Cowrie looking happy on my sponge....

[​IMG]

A bunch of small brittle starts waving at the snail at it cruzes by...

[​IMG]

What are you lookin at...

[​IMG]

20. zambavi

zambavi Guest

I am hoping to get some coral ID assistance on these three guys...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]