Cali Kid Corals

June 26, 2021 - Member's Frag Swap

RSVP required- Will you be attending?

• Total voters
Haha, I am working on getting mine out too! Do you have a better method than a powerhead, time, and a zip tie end under the foot? Ice never worked for me, just made things shrink. I got one out today.
I had a method for pesky ones but in this case, I should be able to take the rocks out of the tank which makes it much easier.

The ice goes on the anemone’s foot, not in your pants.

The past few years we’ve had multiple of those actinic blue LED flashlights in a box at the coral picking entry point that people can borrow. I think @MolaMola was bringing them maybe? Not sure if she is planning to again. I bring my own and would recommend anyone to do the same.

Having a reef light or 2 set up would be cool.
Been out of the loop and just saw the swap event. No idea if I can attend to visit (doubt frags are in a good state) but if not I can bring the flashlights to you to take.

Reactions: JVU
Would QR codes along with name be useful on the containers? For me it's helpful since I can't keep up with all the marketing names. On the downside it would take a bit longer for folks to go through the picking process.

For example, this QR should link to a pic of a pink cadillac in my build journal that I plan on fragging.
chrome_qrcode_1621471098333.png

Would QR codes along with name be useful on the containers? For me it's helpful since I can't keep up with all the marketing names. On the downside it would take a bit longer for folks to go through the picking process.

For example, this QR should link to a pic of a pink cadillac in my build journal that I plan on fragging.
View attachment 27474
That’s a cool idea. Not sure how well it scales up- you only have a couple of min to choose between hundreds of corals. Or if everyone else could manage it. At the very least if you and anyone else interested want to submit yours with a QR code I’ll be interested to see how it works out for people. Most of our good ideas start as something that one person just tries out and it catches on.

Something similar that @MolaMola did before (and likely others too) that was neat was to print out a small pic of the colony and tape it on the cup. But she had the advantage of a small army of kids at school helping :)

That’s an interesting idea. I could whip up something within BARcode - where members can list what they’re bringing to the swap. Could use some help thinking it through.

When I went to LA last weekend, I was shocked to see no prices at all. Every frag had a number next to it and the employee told me to go to their website and type in the number to see the price and whether it was still available. This is because they’re being sold online at the same time.

It won’t be easy real time, so a name still should be on there, but it would be useful to be able to scan after you pick it to see more info about said coral maybe without writing it all on the container.

Yeah I thought it went without saying but the standard name of member and name of coral still need to be written on the label. The QR code would be something extra.

Would folks add them to BARcode before event? If I make it easy?
Some people would. I might do it depending on implementation and if it truly was easy, at least for a few of the corals. The hardest part will be taking and uploading good pics of everything. Plus having to print when a lot of people just hand-write the labels.

We don’t all have to do it to try it out.

What we really need is augmented reality where we see the colonies when we look at the frags in real time with our phones :)

Yeah I thought it went without saying but the standard name of member and name of coral still need to be written on the label. The QR code would be something extra.
Well luckily for you it was said :)

Corals MUST be labeled with at the very least a description (e.g. name and/or color + coral type), your name, and the approximate lighting level they are under

@CaseyP If you can't keep up with marketing names, which is perfectly fine because I can't either :), simply put a descriptive name on it. Red acropora, green & yellow zoanthid.
While QR codes do eventually seem like a nice idea, the fact is with 2-3 minutes to pick a coral it's really becomes problematic to scan/load a ton of corals, now if we can hook up some VR headset and just scan a whole table at once and a 3d version of the coral popped up above all the containers... @svreef wanna get on that? :)

Typically there has been a "what are you bringing to the swap" thread that pops up maybe a week before the swap, and people will post names and some creative people post pictures of their mother colony, the idea is to get you worked up and see if anything pops up that you REALLY want. But the reality of it is that there will be so many corals when it comes your time to pick that you'll be lucky to remember your name much less the corals that you really wanted to get :)

What if someone doesn't have a cell phone? Or forgets it?
They’ll probably spend all day driving around town asking people for directions with a dazed look in their eyes.

If they miraculously find us they will be fine since the names of the corals will still be on the labels.

Back