Neptune Aquatics

Laptop Advice Please

pixelpixi said:
As Tony pointed out, there are mac versions of most major software packages and software that doesn't have a mac version can be run with parallels or by just installing windows along side OSX.

Or get VMware Fusion to run your PC apps. :bigsmile:

Mr. Ugly said:
Mac is like a BMW Z4.
PC is like a Mustang with a bunch of mods.

Get the Mac.

And this is coming from a PC guy with a Mustang :D
Since I've been a BMW guy, you may have sold me :bigsmile:

I'm not reading this whole thread lol I got this recently:

ASUS UL80Vt-A1 14"
http://www.amazon.com/UL80Vt-A1-14-Inch-Light-Black-Laptop/dp/B002Q8HK7K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266718590&sr=8-3

The pros with this laptop:
12 hour battery life possible
LED illuminated screen
Dedicated Video card ( for HD playback and HDMI output)
Sound VIA HDMI (one cable and you got this thing hooked up to a TV for some HULU action)

Cons:
The mouse button is kind of hard to press sometimes

The reason it's 12 hours "possible" because this laptop has 2 video card a low power intel and a high performance nvidia. this is exactly what I wanted, a laptop with a long battery life + the ability to play back HD movies and play games. It's easy to switch between video card (press 1 button). Make sure you check the model # there's another version with no nvidia card.

Also comes in 15.6" varieties
http://www.amazon.com/UL50VT-A1-Light-15-6-Inch-Black-Laptop/dp/B002P3KMPI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266718798&sr=1-1

Also I love ASUS very good customer service, and one of their service centers is in Fremont. So if you're in a rush to get your laptop repaired (under warranty) take it directly to them (I've done this)

Asus has a zero dead pixel policy, if you have a dead pixel you get a replacement laptop

Asus has a 1 year accidental damage warranty

I still say get the Acer... I know the wife says "Money is no object" but for Steve who's going to be buying it, it probably is.

IMO familiarity with your operating system/how it works is worth more than a shiny aluminum case and being "built like a tank"

Also note, if you want to spend Mac like bucks, you could get a screaming fast PC laptop (that most likely will be more muscle than you will ever need)

sfsuphysics said:
IMO familiarity with your operating system/how it works is worth more than a shiny aluminum case and being "built like a tank"

Well, you have to include "relatively hassle free" which is a big plus for people that just use their computer as an appliance, and aren't the type to casually hack the registry or reinstall an OS.

I'd go for the screaming PC notebook myself, but I'm that way :D

I just got a new Dell work laptop and I will say it is the best computer I have had in a long time. Boots up very quickly, Fast, lightweight, and compact. It is a Latitude E4300 FWIW.

Fight the power Steve. My wife has a Mac and as a lifelong PC user, I honestly don't like using it. I really think it depends on what you plan on using it for. My wife loves the Mac for pictures and some of the other features, but for me it isn't worth having to learn the Mac way of doing things and other issues like not being able to using many work applications or getting into my work network remotly.

Yeah yeah insert the old dog and new tricks thing.

GreshamH said:
Mr. Ugly said:
I find myself screaming at my PC notebook myself, but I'm that way :D
Fixed it :)

Haha... :D

I have yet to find myself upset at a PC.

First Intel based PC I had was an XT I assembled out of parts I scavenged from the IT department. I ran it on my desk with no case. Just a pile of parts all connected together. Green monochrome monitor, even.

The IT director used to refer clients to me when his department couldn't figure out what was wrong with their computers, haha.

Elite said:
I like Dell Latitude laptop. HP laptop isn't bad. If you want to keep the laptop running fast, don't install anything that pop up on the screen. I saw so many system that has 3-4 different tool bars install (google, yahoo, searchengine..... ). Do you really need them? Regular laptop are not design to toss around. Handle them with care and they will last a long time. I'm using an IBM T41 right now and it still running great. Install what you use and remove what you don't.

Here's my desktop. :D

desktop%20022010.jpg

seminolecpa said:
I just got a new Dell work laptop and I will say it is the best computer I have had in a long time. Boots up very quickly, Fast, lightweight, and compact. It is a Latitude E4300 FWIW.
Interesting that on the website I found it on (Dell I think) only rated that 3.4 out of 5. That's a 13 inch screen you're using?? For a CPA?

Yep. I have a docking station at work with dual monitors and a desktop for home. What is the point of having a laptop if it weight 20 tons. It is meant to be portable.

seminolecpa said:
My wife loves the Mac for pictures and some of the other features, but for me it isn't worth having to learn the Mac way of doing things and other issues like not being able to using many work applications or getting into my work network remotly.

Got on a Mac for the first time last weekend.

I was at the brother-in-law's place redoing the router that he borked.

I redid the setup to restore the encryption, static dhcp, etc that I had set up previously.

At one point I was double checking all the MAC addresses in the logs to make sure they belonged to the various desktops, laptops, Blackberries, Ipods and stuff that were legit and not from some neighbor's house.

Got on his Macintosh to check the ip and MAC of his network adapter, knowing zip about anything Apple. Pretty straightforward and got in and out in 30 seconds.

seminolecpa said:
Yep. I have a docking station at work with dual monitors and a desktop for home. What is the point of having a laptop if it weight 20 tons. It is meant to be portable.

Yep.

Add an ultraportable or a netbook to all that too.

Then you can lie down on the couch and netsurf and get on your other computers with remote desktop.

The only drawback is when you doze off and the netbook flips over and smacks you on the bridge of your nose :D

Mr. Ugly said:
sfsuphysics said:

Well, you have to include "relatively hassle free" which is a big plus for people that just use their computer as an appliance, and aren't the type to casually hack the registry or reinstall an OS.
The thing with Mac OS.... and I concede my experience is limited... is that its not as people friendly for the ultimate noobs. I have this one piece of software that students can download (free) so they can work at home, and I never have heard the Windows users have issues with it, however quite a few Mac OS users have had issues installing it.

two separate issues really. Using OSX is cakewalk compared to windows (and I've been using windows since 3.0 (dos before that)). If software isn't running properly, it is likely not OSX, but the programmers who did a poor job porting it over.

So far it sounds like the use will be email, internet, word and excel. The ONLY problem I have run into with anything remotely related is that firefox 3.0 has a memory leak.

Back