Cali Kid Corals

Leemar Starphire 290

Nice.
Have you considered moving the lights around and pointing them at different angles?
For example, have a couple placed higher and a bit in front of the tank, angled back toward the tank.
(Like you would for a can light on a painting)
That might eliminate a lot of the shadows.

OK, first thing. You know your tank is too big when you cannot take a FTS from directly in FRONT of the tank! I hate you!! :) :)

You are getting really good with the camera. I really like that you do not pan or move the camera when changing scenes. I like the fade to black transition. It's very relaxing.

And of course the beasties are beautiful.

scuba71 said:
That's interesting. Are you using the wide angle Kessiles?

These are all the narrows. The tank is too deep for the wides. I did have one over it for almost 5 months, but replaced it with the narrow. It is just a much more even look on this deep of a tank. The wide is on the frag tank now.

rygh said:
Nice.
Have you considered moving the lights around and pointing them at different angles?
For example, have a couple placed higher and a bit in front of the tank, angled back toward the tank.
(Like you would for a can light on a painting)
That might eliminate a lot of the shadows.

That is an interesting idea mark. With the tall "spires" in the middle though I fear it would cause even more shadows. Could be kinda cool looking though. The tank does have an interesting vibe right now.........it has a lot of dark and mysterious places. I could get away with it as is........however there is a lot of real estate......especially in the back that I would like to get some sps on. The new lighting will allow that. Ultimately I won't know if it was a good decision until I get them on the tank (I could have a sneek preview tonight........cause ecoxotic is in San Diego and they shipped yesterday). We'll see. Thx.

Made a quick video with the new lights tonight. The color is pretty great on the closer shots. Very close to what it really looks like. Color gets very faded when further back. I wanted to get a vid with just the kessils. I will do another with the supplimental lighting to do a comparison. Getting better with the video camera. Thankfully I am getting better with the editing software as well. Used to take me hours to make a short video. Anyway, hope you enjoy.

[YouTube]RFEdHhbhE2M[/YouTube]

Made some nice progress on the canopy this week.

Pretty much finished other than a bit more sanding and staining. I'm very pleased with it, considering I'm not a carpenter. It's gonna have to sit in the garage another week until I get back from a family wedding. LAME!! :(

Anyway, thought I would show ya some pics of the progress.

IMG_3243_zps32b2e2cf.jpg

IMG_3276_zps8b70aeb6.jpg

IMG_3248_zpsd6754d44.jpg

Dry fit for the pulley system. I wasn't completely sure how they would react to being pulled from one side. Figured out the load still hangs true. SWEET!

IMG_3281_zpsc3a267fd.jpg

I'll be happy to get rid of the temporary hanging scheme.

IMG_3282_zps3627bfb8.jpg

IMG_3303_zpsf7264922.jpg

IMG_3306_zps1244d6f2.jpg

IMG_3307_zps1b4c46dd.jpg

Kensington Reefer said:
Damn Holmes!
You've got mad skills!

Thanks Erin. It took me a week to do what a real carpenter could have done in a day, but it all ligns up, and I don't think it will EVER break. LOL! Lots of glue and nails. :bigsmile:

Holy Mama! I am TIRED!!!

Got a hair up my A%& today and decided I needed to FINISH the canopy. Started around 11 am and At 0110 this morning (14 hours later) It is hung and it's freakin AWESOME!

By no means is it actually done, however it is hanging over the tank with functioning lights. So..........it's pretty much there. Minor tweaks and such to do.

Anyway, I'm going to bed, but wanted to get some pics up cause I'm EXCITED! :bigsmile:

Stain job isn't great, but it's the second thing I have ever stained, and it matches pretty good to the stand, so I am happy with it.
IMG_3363_zps29ac0d46.jpg

Got creative with how to hang the Kessils with as little verticle height as possible so I can raise the canopy to the ceiling.
IMG_3369_zps2e28769a.jpg

MANY hours later.............
IMG_3374_zps012db923.jpg

Kessils.......
IMG_3375_zps0396cab5.jpg

Cord management............sorta. LOL!
IMG_3376_zps769be7e2.jpg

150w ballast and controller (for the remote) for the ecoxotic Panorama Marine fixtures.
IMG_3377_zpscfe4ccab.jpg

Let there be a crap load of LIGHT!!!!
IMG_3379_zps7a9640c8.jpg

Under the hood.....
IMG_3382_zps30e60e69.jpg

This is with only the Ecoxotic fixtures (145 watts total). I'm impressed with the coverage. I will post more about these lights and how they are working with the kessils later. Overall though...........I like them a lot.
IMG_3383_zpsb9a80992.jpg

Hey thanks guy's! I'm glad you like it. It's not finished yet, but you get the idea.

It is WAY heavier than anticipated, so I am going to change out the rope for a larger / thicker.....climbing style rope. The cord I am using is rated to 150lbs and I am sure it would be fine, but it is thin and hurts my hands pulling it up and down........plus it freaks me out seeing that much weight over my little glass box. Ha!

Have to put up some moon lights as well and several other small fixes. I'm working the next three days though, so it will have to wait till friday it seems.

Oh, and this makes it next to impossible to get into the tank. Even pulled as high as it will go..............so, tracks are also on the list, so I can pull it away from the tank for big maintenance jobs. Lot's to do. :p

I've been following this thread as a visitor and had to join because I'm dying to ask you questions. Outstanding build by the way. Very impressive.

I've only had kessils since I started my little 33 gal. I do love them. They are a great light. I recently upgraded to 2-350 wides about 4 months ago. Have you had any issues with any of your blue corals keeping color? How far off the water were you keeping your wides? I know I have too much light I know but I can't stand shadowing. It's great to see that these lights are clearly capable of growth and maintaining color. I have not been successful in keeping the color of my corals but that is for different reasons and not mainly from the lights. Do you feel that they wash out your corals ?

Here's a pic of my tank before I started preparing for my upgrade.

It must be noted I guess that kessils alone may not be sufficient enough since you are having to add supplemental LEDs.

I'm local and will be upgrading to the new 360's I'm working on a 180 gal system and will prob be selling my two wides for $625 for both not sure if you would be interested?

I'm also wondering how you like your skimmer? Is it doing you justice? Would you recommend it? Buy it again?

Back