got ethical husbandry?

Lets see them full tank shot

Ye old FTS, tank has been going for a while in different iterations with some sps about 5 years old.
FTS 02.2022.jpg

Maybe?

Years ago, I got in the habit of putting on mild SPF right after showering in the morning. My copper banded butterfly (who came with the new tank) eats out of my fingers, and I was feeding right after getting out of the shower - with those same hands that I had the sunscreen on. Looked at the ingredients, zinc oxide. Then started morning feeding before showering and have done several large water changes since and stuff is looking a lot better. I'll be sending out another water sample for ICP pretty soon.

I also swapped out all jabao pumps so there's only ehiem, red dragon and ecotec's moving water. Pumps were probably not the source (seems everyone runs jabaos with no issues) but I did this before thinking about my fingers in the water every morning.
I am always freaked out about doing any reef related things after putting on sun screen because of oxybenzone. Even after washing my hands well I’m wary. Don’t mix skin care with reef care is my go to practice.

I thought it would be nice to share my reef tank back in 2007 when I was in Chicago. Can't believe that I have been doing this for 17 years already (since 2005) !! The tank is 40 breeder with two 150W Phoenix HQI metal halides with external overflow (famous Lifereef brand). I think this hobby will be with me until I die. I was using two maxijet 1200 for the flow LOL. Alk and ca were dosed by kalk top off.

IMG_2305.JPG
IMG_9777.JPG
IMG_9762.JPG

Last edited:
Back