High Tide Aquatics

[LOCATION and DATE CHANGE] 3/20 (Sun) Members Only Frag Swap at Cali Kid Corals in Concord

Will you attend the 3/19 Members Frag Swap?

• Total voters

Chromis

Supporting Member
UPDATE: Cos @Cbruno80 has offered his store and adjacent outdoor area to host our upcoming frag swap. His store is near the original planned venue. Sunday works better since the store would normally be closed that day, as are the other businesses in his building, so that we can use the entire area. Apologies to those for whom the date change causes a conflict. The above RSVP poll is not strictly necessary but helps with planning, please update your response.

Date:
March 20, 2022
Time: 11:30pm to 2:30pm.

Lunch will be provided by the club.

Requirements
1. Must register for the event, a simple post here stating you're coming is fine, must be done three days before the event
2. Be a supporting member, there is no entry fee
3. Bring a minimum of 3 separate coral frags, none from the "banned" list, and properly contained (see below)
4. Check in before 11am, if you come after we will check you in but may have lost a picking round, and you don't get to make it up with an extra pick.
5. Those who are fully vaccinated may go without a mask at the venue.

Volunteers are appreciated to help run the event. Please volunteer HERE
Whether we have a bonus round needs to be decided.

Schedule
10:30am-11:30am setup
11:30-12:30pm registration and running corals to tables
12:30pm-2:30pm start swapping, if we're as efficient as last time we may not even need the full time
Whenever swap ends, cleanup will commence.

5416 Ygnacio Valley Rd Ste 50, Concord, CA 94521

There is plenty of parking in the shopping center. Cali Kid Corals will be open just for us that day, with BAR member discounts!

How the swap works
For those who have swapped before, it is largely unchanged

For those who have never swapped THIS is a great reference and saves me from having to retype all of it, the first post is the most relevant additional posts may not be relevant to this swap. And if you have any questions the day of the event there are volunteers who are "Frag Police" or "Frag Wranglers" who can help you with information about what round it is, or to give you a reminder of what to do, or possibly to answer any coral questions you may have.

Valid frags

• Corals MUST be in clear plastic containers, that includes lids and sides, so no styrofoam. Plastic bags will not be allowed.
  • Corals MUST be labeled with at the very least a description (e.g. name and/or color + coral type), your name, and the approximate lighting level they are under, while you don't need exact PAR numbers having the fixture that is used + tank depth is much more useful just saying "low" "medium" or "high"
  • These corals are not eligible for swapping
  • Corals should be healthy and relatively pest free, while you should assume everything has pests if your frag plug has aiptasia on it it will not be accepted, nor corals that look to be dying.
  • Frag sizes you should use will vary, bonus corals have a specified minimum, but I like to say "what kind of frag would you like to see" and use that as a guideline for how much/how big.
  • There's always a debate about mounted versus unmounted corals, and that probably will never get settled, as a result no requirement either way.
  • Things like anemones are ok if they're of a desirable nature i.e. bubble tips, maxi-mini carpets, NOT aiptasia.
  • Sponges are not valid frags and neither is any type of macroalgae.
  • However there will be a "freebee table" that things can be put on, if you think a new person may want a piece colt coral, or some of that chaeto you harvested, feel free to bring it it just won't count towards your 3 different frags.
Any other questions? Ask here.

[updated 2/26 by @JVU]

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated this post due to venue change.

We will have food/drinks provided by the club! So having a good approximate head count is important, please reply in the RSVP poll above.

I know Concord is quite a drive for half the club, but it is also the first swap since I’ve been in the club that’s in the upper East Bay where a lot of our members are. We are just trying to spread them around geographically.

We will need help from volunteers so please head over here and sign up:

Last edited:
Gerry, you can still swap if you want to, there’s a separate thread where people are coordinating giving extra frags to qualify for swapping to members in need-

Gerry, you can still swap if you want to, there’s a separate thread where people are coordinating giving extra frags to qualify for swapping to members in need-

Thanks. Went ahead and made a post.
Gerry

So as a new (to the area) and having no frags since I basically sold everything off last year, how does one get involved despite having no frags to give?

So as a new (to the area) and having no frags since I basically sold everything off last year, how does one get involved despite having no frags to give?
Easy!!!

Back