Reef nutrition

Making Lemonade - Mike's Lagoon

Randy so from your experience the ICP test is not good? and you are using only Triniton? I am thinking to do a full test as well and not sure what would be the best option.
I see there are other elements that are not really close...

I see there is this website:
icp-analysis.com
and
https://icp1999.com/ are they the same company?
I mean if only 1 element is of maybe it could still be ok.
Triton ICPs are good.

I think Randy was saying the ICP test from that company is not good. icp-analysis is one company, icp1999 is a different company, Triton is another company, and as mentioned ATi does it as well.
So beside Triniton what is the next company that is good.
ATi - ? Is that a company? if yes where do you get the test?

Mike did you get good results with icp-analysis.com? - WHere did you buy it with $30 I see you have to buy it from an authorized reseller.

Mike did you get good results with icp-analysis.com? - WHere did you buy it with $30 I see you have to buy it from an authorized reseller.

just from looking at my results, you should runaway fast from that company for icp testing until there’s a good reason they give me why that Na reading is so jacked up. I didn’t even bother to ask them about some of the other oddities either since I figure if they can’t get such a big major element correct, there’s no need wasting my breath on the other elements for now.

I honestly have no idea what company is good or not, ATi is a company yes, Google is your friend :)

I bought it directly from that webpage, they sold it I bought it. I mean the results looked fine for what they are, I couldn't tell you if they are accurate obviously a lot better than what Randy got :D

You discussed the Uranium finding in some detail. Not sure if you were just joking around, but I wouldn’t give that a second thought. They reported 40 ppb which is higher than ocean water normal value of 3 ppb, but theIr comparison reef value was 20 ppb so however they measure you are in the normal range for an element that probably is irrelevant in our tanks anyway.

Since while while back I heard that those icp tests are widely inaccurate. I think that's why triton dominated the market thu they were not the first to do icp. They are just more accurate and consistent. That us not to say Triton is super accurate, some elements are being challenged that they can report accurate measurments on..

You discussed the Uranium finding in some detail. Not sure if you were just joking around, but I wouldn’t give that a second thought. They reported 40 ppb which is higher than ocean water normal value of 3 ppb, but theIr comparison reef value was 20 ppb so however they measure you are in the normal range for an element that probably is irrelevant in our tanks anyway.
Yeah I'm not terribly worried about uranium in the reef... I mean I did find it odd that in seawater was so much lower than the reef, which kind of made me question it although how close is Fiji to where we did all that nuclear testing? :D Either way, I just found it odd that it would be listed at all, as you say something that is irrelevant to our tanks, and yet the analysis decided to add it in for some reason. Now if it started to say 1000 ppm, then I'd worry :D

Welp I failed at preventing aiptasia getting into the lagoon. So one on the sand, then saw another on a rock, and when I started moving rocks started to see more in hidden areas. So started chipping them off, and if I couldnt just pull of the corals and stick them out in the backyard to bake in the sun. Nothing I can do about it now, just maintenance is the new routine which I absolutely hate

Maybe, I would worry that they were spread out over too big of an area for those little buggers to traverse. Especially considering I have a Naoke and a pink streak wrasse in there, not sure if they'd pick them off but... wrasse.

And one good thing I found, I could mount Vortech pumps on the curved part of the ends, the radius of curvature is big enough that it's practically "flat" this opens up more opportunities to get flow going. Still have an IceCap Gyre4k coming for flow too.

Seems like a lost cause trying to prevent them unless you never introduce a frag plug or anything they can attach to from somewhere else

Everything that originally went into my 200 was bleached, and then cured for many months, and any corals were in a QT so I can see if any stray guys started growing. And didn't see a single one... but then I helped a friend out who was taking down his tank to help distribute corals for a frag swap, and he had aiptasia up the wazzoo, and I didn't have enough QT tank space for everything, so yeah it's all on me And then when the tank leaked I had to combine both tanks and I'm fairly sure the other tank had at least a few, I yanked any rocks I saw them on, but it's the ones you don't see that get ya.

The saving grace is nothing is glued down, well corals, but rocks can be removed and chipped at, I can toss rocks in the backyard and replace them with bleached one, and it's a lot easier to get them in and out when the tank top isn't 6 feet off the ground :D

I've stuck aiptasia in pure muriatic acid, well as pure as Home Depot sells but I didn't dilute it further, nothing happened to the aiptasia So I know that won't do much of anything to help you control it, bleach on the other hand does, but you need to spend a bit more time making sure you neutralize the bleach.

I've stuck aiptasia in pure muriatic acid, well as pure as Home Depot sells but I didn't dilute it further, nothing happened to the aiptasia So I know that won't do much of anything to help you control it, bleach on the other hand does, but you need to spend a bit more time making sure you neutralize the bleach.
Really, how long? That's crazy. I guess my RODI/Vinegar bath in the drain section of my DT sump might not have gotten rid of the aiptasia remnants then.

Back