got ethical husbandry?

Making Lemonade - Mike's Lagoon

So no updates really, got some more aiptasia that I apparently missed the other day, I say this because these were LARGE... actually curious if I missed them or if they some how migrated. Either way, I'm done with caring too much right now.

The lagoon experiment is really taking a hit though, not for any reason other than pumps are ruining my experience. The water surface is just too turbulent to enjoy the tank, especially the dumb vortechs because their flow pattern is extra wide, I do wonder if I could some how glue on an acrylic shield on the top to prevent it the cone that comes out from going up as much. I did buy an Icecap 4k Gyre, and if I get around to it will do a review later, and while I can aim where the water streams go I'm curious if it's as useful pointing into the tank as shooting up. I will say with only this on it definitely gets a gyre that kind of "mushrooms" to one end and then back towards the pump (using the ever accurate crushed up flake fish food visual as a test), so maybe it'll be good.

While I can turn off pumps and just sit and enjoy, I dunno part of me feels like turning the pumps off to enjoy kind of defeats the purpose of having pumps in the tank, it's one thing to turn all the pumps off so you can get pictures/video of the tank, but come on I just want to walk over, sit down and enjoy and if I sit there for half an hour I don't want to have to worry about lack of flow.

So either way I think I need to think of my exit strategy, which I have been running through some scenarios, some a little more grandiose than the other (some edging into "WTF are you even considering that for Mike" range too :D). School is about to start up though, and this remote learning thing takes way more time than just going to class and teaching, so I'm not planning on having to do big things if I can avoid it.

No experience with these, but they exist.

Easier said than done Mike

Randy, yeah I saw those on the BRS videos, seems kind of a pricey solution when I could hot glue a plastic shield on top ... plus the biggest problem is an MP60 pump which I don't think those are made for.

Easier said than done Mike

Randy, yeah I saw those on the BRS videos, seems kind of a pricey solution when I could hot glue a plastic shield on top ... plus the biggest problem is an MP60 pump which I don't think those are made for.
Buy one new, used or get one for free. Problem solved

Buy one new, used or get one for free. Problem solved
like I said, easier said than done.

I mean sure the "I have money burning a hole in my pocket" approach is by far the easiest, but I'm not exactly in that boat right now even with all the money the state of California currently gives to teachers :D Used, well due to current climate that is actually a bit harder mostly due to getting help to move it, but also due to a level of pickiness you can't have with used tanks. But either way, get tank, need stand, which requires again throw money at the solution, or build one which requires time.

And of course Icecap products go 20% off a week after I buy one... well that was $50 lost. Too bad Costco doesn't sell this equipment, I'd just go back and get a price adjustment refund :D

And of course Icecap products go 20% off a week after I buy one... well that was $50 lost. Too bad Costco doesn't sell this equipment, I'd just go back and get a price adjustment refund :D

Hm. Could you order a new one with the discount, then file a return with the non-discounted one, and just return the new one you just ordered?

You get it from BRS? Don’t quote me on this, but they have at times price adjusted thing(s) for me when this has happened to me without any amount of resistance.

Possibly, but return shipping would be on me, and looking at the policy the "free shipping" of the original would also be charged, so ultimately it'd be a whole lot of work for not much of a refund.

That said I may just buy a second one especially at 20% off.

You get it from BRS? Don’t quote me on this, but they have at times price adjusted thing(s) for me when this has happened to me without any amount of resistance.
Nope not BRS, I went another route to save on CA sales tax :)

And did check, I see they do have a price "protection" for things in the last 7 days, unfortunately looking at the receipt I forgot I may have only had the pump going for just under a week, unfortunately it was sitting in a box for a week. So missed out by a week twice! :D
In fact I see that it says specifically "on orders placed in the last 7 days" so it took 4 or so days to get to me so the window for price adjustment is even smaller

Last edited:
Well I ended up buying another Gyre 4K pump since they went on 20% discount, and I only needed to buy the pump and not the controller, still wish I could have gotten the original at 20% but it is what it is. Also ordered the Icecap phone lens kit, since all Icecap stuff is 20% off until the end of the month, figured why not, I'll take some tank pics with it when it gets here.

Last bit... I saw aiptasia... on a rock where I already checked and they weren't there, unfortunately the vast majority are not in a place where I can easily just chip off the rock, so got some of that F Aiptasia stuff, we'll see if it actually works or if it's like every other product out there it seems to work... until you notice it really doesn't. Oh well, it's the reef hobby we just throw money at it right? :D

Haven't seen my Naoke wrasse in a while too, I haven't checked the floor around the tub to see if there's a colorful dried up sardine yet though, sometime this hobby...

Well I ended up buying another Gyre 4K pump since they went on 20% discount, and I only needed to buy the pump and not the controller, still wish I could have gotten the original at 20% but it is what it is.
If I were in this situation I would email BRS support and explain how you’re buying your second gyre this month due to their current sale and you’re wondering if they can honor the sale price and credit you the difference in BRS credit. It takes 5 min to write the email and the worst thing they’ll say is ‘no’ and best case you $40 BRS credit. No way to know unless you ask.

Back