Reef nutrition

Mike's Machination

On a more serious note. I would definitely:

1) switch to a smaller sump.
2) nuke existing rock.
3) buff out existing tank (hello Denzil!).
4) redo rockwork.
5) think about add a Carlson surge.
6) Ask Jim about the sea swirls and ocean swirl he has. ;)

Yeah the largest issue is going to be storing existing fish as a temporary. While there are some I'd be happy to sell/give away, ones like the purple tang I'd rather not.

Plus set up a frag tank because I still do have some decent corals that I'd like to keep alive... going to have to do triage though, some of them have bubble algae on them and I don't want to go through any effort only to have it all come back at me.

Yeah the largest issue is going to be storing existing fish as a temporary. While there are some I'd be happy to sell/give away, ones like the purple tang I'd rather not.

Plus set up a frag tank because I still do have some decent corals that I'd like to keep alive... going to have to do triage though, some of them have bubble algae on them and I don't want to go through any effort only to have it all come back at me.
I have a all in one 40 breeder you can use to
temporarily house the fish/corals you do want to keep while breaking down the big tank. Lmk if you need help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the assist guys, I think I might have enough place to temporally store fish and what not (frags might be a different matter, need to do a headcount on them), but part of the problem is doing work on the fish stuff when my wife expects me to do work on the baby room stuff (although in my defense she is dragging ass on cleaning her stuff out of the rooms). But most weekends are a dying creature it seems since seems every other week there's some sort of baby class or something we're going to.

Erin, I contemplating making it a look down tank, 5 feet by 6 feet is a lot of surface area to ogle at, but my ultimate grand master plan weas to completely enclose the tank and everything and insulate the walls so that the tank is isolated from the colder basement so hopefully the power bill stays low, which unfortunately I never got around to doing (that's me dragging my ass :D) and last month paid the price via PG&E

One of my favorite tanks here has a carpet anemone with a pair of perculas and a jungle of pulsing Xenia that's visible from the top down. I would love to do the same in the 100gal hex that the 20year old turtle lives in. My daughter won't let me relocate the turtle to my neighbor's pond!

Thanks for the assist guys, I think I might have enough place to temporally store fish and what not (frags might be a different matter, need to do a headcount on them), but part of the problem is doing work on the fish stuff when my wife expects me to do work on the baby room stuff (although in my defense she is dragging ass on cleaning her stuff out of the rooms). But most weekends are a dying creature it seems since seems every other week there's some sort of baby class or something we're going to.

Erin, I contemplating making it a look down tank, 5 feet by 6 feet is a lot of surface area to ogle at, but my ultimate grand master plan weas to completely enclose the tank and everything and insulate the walls so that the tank is isolated from the colder basement so hopefully the power bill stays low, which unfortunately I never got around to doing (that's me dragging my ass :D) and last month paid the price via PG&E

Insulation may not help all that much.
You pretty quickly hit the point where evaporation energy loss dominates.
And guess what - cold air that gets warmed over the tank is the worst case as far as evaporation.
But you can't over-seal the tank from the air, or you get CO2 buildup + PH issues.

Man I miss the $0.05/kwhr back on the prairies. Lol. Large tanks were not so horrible to run. Same with the cheap plentiful water.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Doesn't help living in San Francisco either where PG&E decides what "fair use" is about 80% of what it is in the East Bay in the winter, and 70% in the summer.

Doesn't help living in San Francisco either where PG&E decides what "fair use" is about 80% of what it is in the East Bay in the winter, and 70% in the summer.
I wonder where they get their figures. When I view my usage it shows I'm using almost double what "similar households near me" are using. Unless it's comparing me to a block of abandoned buildings I just don't get it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I've always been in tier 1 or 2 so not much to complain about here. The solar salesmen hate hearing that since it usually works out to about 30 years before I would break even with their systems.

Back