Our mission

Mixing Anemones?

Plan was to start mixing in more anemones like black widow, colorado sunburst, inferno, green bubbletip, lemon drop. Been looking at some R2R forums that some anemones may not be housed together. Does anyone have any experience with this? I currently have just my Chicago and RBTA (Below).

I have had adverse reactions to having RBTA and Colorado Sunburst together. I separated them to separate tanks and they are great now. I was told it had to do with the bacteria they each produced. Look forward to more responses to this thread

Might be anecdotal but Rich mentioned nematocyst shedding from majanos in his tank as being a possible irritant (other mushrooms opened more fully days after killing many majanos). Could be a mind story, but who knows.

I've kept my lookalike black widow with the more classic looking Shu Tin bta and a Nexus Burst with no issue. Haven't kept a CSB yet though.

Edit: these were all touching too

Last edited:
No personal experience, but I've spoken to a couple people that have tried collecting "High end" nems in a big tank. In some cases with each species kept in their own basket with no direct contact with one another. In all cases that I've heard of, (and read) they eventually have chemical warfare and most if not all nems were lost.

There are also some very interesting videos on youtube of anemones physically walking to another and physically throwing down lol

No scientific data provided, so not sure if it were from an overload of chemicals or bacteria in the water causing instability or if they're directly attacking and/or affecting one another. One common thing I noticed is that in all cases, the use of carbon was not mentioned. So maybe that implementation would help the success rate?

I have a CSB and Chicago together in my tank doing great. Has been in my tank for almost a year. They have split a couple of times.

Last edited:
There is no actual evidence of this, but there is anecdotal evidence from a lot of people. The problem with this anecdotal evidence is there's no way to know if there's anything to support it or if it's from people who had issues with their tanks, etc.

That being said, when I was propagating Nems, I had no issues mixing until I tried mixing wild Nems with tank raised, so I'd caution against that -- but again, there is no actual science to prove my feeling.

There is no actual evidence of this, but there is anecdotal evidence from a lot of people. The problem with this anecdotal evidence is there's no way to know if there's anything to support it or if it's from people who had issues with their tanks, etc.

That being said, when I was propagating Nems, I had no issues mixing until I tried mixing wild Nems with tank raised, so I'd caution against that -- but again, there is no actual science to prove my feeling.
A million monkeys saying the same thing probably aren't wrong!

Back