High Tide Aquatics

My Semi-annual upgrade

Ok, so here are the specifics. Doors and outer sides are 3/4 birch plywood. Top and bottom are 3/4" oak plywood (they ran out of birch). Back piece and inner sides are 1 1/8 subfloor plywood. The inner side pieces stop 4 inches from the top. It is used to support the cross braces. For the front cross brace I glued and screwed 4 pieces of 3/4 birch (about 46.5x4" pieces). There are 6 more single cross braces of the same plywood going back spaced at about 3.5 inches. Pretty much all the load is support by 1 1/8 subfloor ply and not by the outer side pieces.

Eileen, I did get the dampeners for the hinges, there is no way you can slam these doors shut.

Lap, another good one. Nice joke.

Nice job Ian, looks like it was worth all the sawdust you inhaled :D

Keep an eye on those hinges though if you put a sump under it, I've had nothing but bad luck finding "rust resistant" hinges at the big-box stores

Dude it looks awesome... You should do a write up in the DIY so people can get an idea of how easy it is to do.. From making a cut sheet for all your pieces to actually having the lumber yard cut it.. You don't even need to own a saw to build a stand.. :) You could post up the cut sheet for this stand since you already know all the pieces will work :) Then people could adjust measurements for different sized tanks...

I attribute the awesome stand building too the Wendy's I brought over :)

True Doug, ashby lumber does deserve a lot of credit. They cut most of my pieces perfectly. I did have to cut the piece for my center brace out though.

1 1/8” plywood
2 pieces of 30”x30” minus the thickness of 1 1/8”plywood plus the thickness of ¾” plywood (inner side pieces)
1 piece of 34”x48” minus 2 times the thickness of ¾” plywood (back piece)
10 pieces of 4”x48” minus 2 times the thickness of ¾” plywood (cross braces)

¾” hardwood plywood
2 pieces of 48”x30” (top and bottom)
1 piece of 3”x34” (center brace also jig sawed to fit)
2 pieces of 2 1/4”x30” (side part of center brace)
2 pieces of 34”x30” minus ¾” plywood (outer side pieces)
2 pieces of 33 7/8”x23 15/16” minus half of the thickness of 3/4” plywood (doors)

Plywood is typically about 1/32" less than the described thickness.

The tank was pretty incredible. A large red tabling Hyacanthus(a good 12" in diameter), large purple monster colony, rare colonies just littering the tank. I guess something like your tank. I believe he said it started out as a zeovit tank.

LOL, I don't have any rare colonies like that. haha, although my eddies PM from Rich is getting big. How about the stuff in your tank. lol

Yeah my tank is more like a dinosaur fossil museum. I can take you thru the vast colonies that once graced the tank. Rainbow monti skeleton, ice fire echinata skeleton, and the Watermelon 2 skeleton. Just to name a few.

Already purchased my first new piece with the new tank in mind. Don't even have the tank yet. I picked this up earlier today from Clint.
http://diamondsinthereef.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=340

Sorry don't have a picture of my own yet.

Thanks, Norm. I thought it was really unique, so when the price dropped it couldn't pass it up.

Arnold, its going to replace my current display. I'll probably need some help, more the merrier. haha. I'm thinking about getting it set up either the first or second weekend of next month.

Here is the tank
Tankonstandsmall.jpg

I know the overflow box is small but I my return to both my main tank and my frag tank is only going to be 700 gph. It should handle it fine.

Back