Our mission

Mystery Fish ID?

patchin said:
Matt
Is it the species you thought it was? Can you give us some more info on it?
Not Matt and not speaking for him, but...

Yes it is.

Not much info on the fish.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=15055

also see "Basslets - Hamlets and their relatives" by Kuiter - pg 137
"World Atlas of Marine Fishes" by Kuiter & Debelius - page 311

iani said:
Wow, that is a sweet fish.

Yes, totally neat looking!

Matt, what function/purpose do you think that flattened head serves? Does it live under rocks perhaps?

I'm so glad it will be available for many people to see and enjoy. :)

Matt is pretty easy to distract at work - look at the pretty fish, then I can sneak folks in for a tour : )

The last couple of sf tank tours did have a behind the scenes there as well. pics are here from tour early in 2009---its a long thread so pics are at the end. unless you want to read how we do tours and such.

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/2360?page=28

Lyn said:
iani said:
Wow, that is a sweet fish.

Yes, totally neat looking!

Matt, what function/purpose do you think that flattened head serves? Does it live under rocks perhaps?

I'm so glad it will be available for many people to see and enjoy. :)

GREAT question. I have no idea, but hopefully will get some more info on it. We know that they hide deep in crevices and caves of the reef, so maybe it is an adaptation to allow it to squeeze through tight openings? Just a guess. I'll ask McCosker when I get back to work--that kind of question is what he knows best.

GreshamH said:
patchin said:
Matt
Is it the species you thought it was? Can you give us some more info on it?
Not Matt and not speaking for him, but...

Yes it is.

Not much info on the fish.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=15055

also see "Basslets - Hamlets and their relatives" by Kuiter - pg 137
"World Atlas of Marine Fishes" by Kuiter & Debelius - page 311

Yup those photos (of a pair no less!) are, as far as I can tell, the only photos that exist of live individuals of this species, at least that people are sharing with the world in publications. This thread already has more live photos of it than you can easily find! I'd love to hear more stories of anybody who has ever kept one. A search on RC for "Rainfordia" lands one hit, and it's just a passing mention of it.

Matt_Wandell said:
GreshamH said:

Was the wrasse named after him or is just a coincidence?

John McCosker has several fish named after him, including the wrasse. Hydrolagus mccoskeri is a ratfish that was the most recent fishie named after him. :)

Cool. I didn't know if his name was like Watanabe and fairly common amongst Ichthyologists :)

sfsuphysics said:
Tell him I just had one of his wrasses jump the tank in less than an hour of being in it!
and I too had one that lasted a couple days longer (before I was able to get any screen up)

I'm guessing rainfordia opercularis (from Australia) but you should check with Gresham or Matt_Wandell
Those guys would know. :bigsmile:

GreshamH said:
Matt_Wandell said:
GreshamH said:

Was the wrasse named after him or is just a coincidence?

John McCosker has several fish named after him, including the wrasse. Hydrolagus mccoskeri is a ratfish that was the most recent fishie named after him. :)

Cool. I didn't know if his name was like Watanabe and fairly common amongst Ichthyologists :)

I don't think so. Weird story, when I was bartending I took somebody's CC and his last name was Helfrich. I thought..."nah", but just had to ask. It turned out his uncle was THE Phil Helfrich. I guess it's a pretty uncommon name. :D

Cool story Matt :)

Ever here the supposed story behind Pseudochromis Steenei? They say the facial expression of the fish matches Roger Steene's :)

I don't see it though:

Psste_u3.jpg

author-steene.jpg

Any updates on how this guy's doing? Wandered through Steinhart yesterday (the place is looking awesome, btw! :) ) and didn't see the stripey fish.

Back