Neptune Aquatics

NanoCrazed's Lazy Tank(s) Journal

Look into a mini split. Way better than the portable crap.
The original recommended design for my prefab unit was a split. But back then it was like $4k and only 220V so i passed since the electrician would have to put in a sub panel as well. With the design of the unit and location of it up against a wall, there really wasn't a spot for a sub panel.

Bur looking at it now, looks like there are 110V units for 12K BTU units. Might have to seriously give that some consideration again... hmm...

Today's the day that I am gonna shuffle clowns. Should be fun.

I have a clutch of 6 in my SN tank that I've raised for the last 1.5 years from the same parents: 2 wyoming whites (sadly was 4 originally) and 4 gladiators.

In my AquaJapan 85, I have an normal occ left after the female died.

So, I think my game plan is going to be:
  1. putting the 2 wyomings into the WB20 CSB tank after I install my chiller later (doing a chiller shuffle as well to right size the chillers with tank sizes).
  2. moving the smallest gladiator to match with the occ in the AJ85. only concern here is that the tank is all big fish so will need to feed smaller pellets and make sure it doesn't get outcompeted for food
  3. This would leave 3 gladiators int the SN tank (ELOS 70)... which I am not sure if I like the odds here (no pun intended). Maybe I will leave the tiniest gladiator here instead to remain a neutral \sub-male to avoid aggression.
I jalso ust picked up the maroon lightning from @bp123987 that I will be paring with teh goldbar from my work tank. the lightning needs a bit of QT time first though. And, I don't like the idea of putting clowns together without supervision since I have been out of the office during SIP.

Just saw a pair - So are the CC SNs? Or CC SN-ish?

Sorry, don’t mean to bust you up, but just want to make sure you have those nems ID’d accurately so you’re passing on the right info to any potential buyers/traders down the line.

Last edited:
Just saw a pair - So are the CC SNs? Or CC SN-ish?
All bonafide CC lineaged... depending on PAR and spectrum, lots of variations but unmistakably super bright.

20200427_173541.jpg
20200415_115110.jpg
20200302_155803.jpg
20200319_115559.jpg
20200206_183152.jpg

Nice! Just needed the blues to bring out the colors :)
Thanks! Truth be told , i like running full spectrum :)

But coming home (er... now, being home) to actinics kicking in is something else. 23 SNs firing up at once in a since tank. Fire!

Though my Ultimate Chicago tank and CSB tank each can give it a run for the money... :)

Ultimate Chicago for reference:

20200515_143953.jpg

IM20
===

Snuck into the office today to swap out my ATO 5G jug. Good thing too -- reservoir was almost empty so can now avoid getting called onto carpet again by security due to the incessant ato alarm (lol), and one of my 2 return pumps died.

Decided to swap out with a mightyjet that i just picked up from a fellow BAR member and still had in my car. Along with this, i reinstalled the RFGs.

Happily, my tank remains dino and gha free during SIP and since my last round of H2O2.

While i was at it, i decided to bring my goldbar maroon clown home to pair with the lightning i jist picked up earlier. I was gonna hold of the match making until much later but realize i would missed a prime opportunity with both clowns being placed in a neutral tank (had the biocube 29 cycled and empty of livestock) plus the goldbar is still a bit smaller of the two which would make the pairing easier.

Plan worked out as hoped. The lighting nudged the yellowbar right away and started the bonding process. Or at the very least asserted who's dominant.

20200526_233447.jpg
20200527_000630.jpg
20200526_233855.jpg

Look into a mini split. Way better than the portable crap.
I put a split mini in my garage since it’s my workshop and have never regretted it. I did run the electrical myself to cut down on the cost. I paid $3560 for it but did add a WiFi option so that I could control it from my phone. There was also a cheaper unit that was probably $600-$800 less but it didn’t have as good of a warranty. It was a business expense though so I just wrote it off.

I put a split mini in my garage since it’s my workshop and have never regretted it. I did run the electrical myself to cut down on the cost. I paid $3560 for it but did add a WiFi option so that I could control it from my phone. There was also a cheaper unit that was probably $600-$800 less but it didn’t have as good of a warranty. It was a business expense though so I just wrote it off.
Now that there are 110V unit options, I'll likely pull the trigger.

It's a 120 sqft unit. 12000 BTUs are nore than enough. Amazing how much price on these have come down over the last few years. The original unit in my design spec for the unit was 9000BTU for $3200. Versus now, 12000BTUs can be had for 1000 +/- a few bucks

Back