Our mission

NanoCrazed's Lazy Tank(s) Journal

Looks like the were lonely...instant pairing!

20200527_095803.jpg

They look like they’re doing the classic, ignore the nem and live in a corner move
ah see -- I don't let them get to a nem when they first meet. clowns especially maroons have this psycho switch that gets flicked on instantly the minute there's a nem involved. Technically, there MAY be a baby CSB in there but the don't know that...

Dug out a chiller i bought last year to clean for a swap out into my AJ85 system. Wow. Glad i took the time to clean it. Water was super dirty. Aaaaaand....i found a dead baby rat or maybe a mouse in the housing at the grid cage on the backside. Was skeleton and patches or fur -- you can imagine the immense joy it brought me to wiggle the rodent remains out between the grid opening...

20200527_120350.jpg

Since i am doing the chiller shuffle, i decided to look more closely at the cooling capacity of my units...

One point of confusion i have is this old Euro Aqua CL-150 mini chiller . On the unit, says rated for 100L or less...so about 26G. But manual says between 26G and 52G...and refigerating capacity of 150W. But if I do the math 150W would translate to 1/5hp. Which I highly doubt. It's been working decently for my ELOS70 but thinking maybe I would swap an Artica 1/15 hp in and then use the Euro Aqua on the WB20... hmm... confusion and paralyzing quandry is an understatement.

Ok. Went ahead and did all my chiller shuffling. While I was at it, I followed @Chromis ' lead and cleaned all of my chillers. Have a final unit (the Euro Aqua) i am cycling with vinegar overnight...there's some slime algae in the tank it came from and don't want a chance of this being introduced to my WB20/CSB tank. So being extra careful...i actually might cycle with chemiclean afterwards just in case.

This clown pairing thing is turning into a bigger effort than I had thought... or at least i am turning it into one.

I realized that some natural female \ male pairing has already taken place so need to watch for when the rest and group up to split them out. The wyoming whites are easy. But between the 4 remaining gladiators, there is a formed pair, a hot standby sub-male, and a neutral bottom of the totem pole. so once I separate out the paired gladiators, I need to decide whether to:
  1. have the remaining two pair up by moving them to a separate tank,
  2. move one of the unpaired gladiators to my DT and have it pair up with a normal occ (feels like a waste), and if so which one
  3. If I do #2, then need to figure out which third-wheel won't get killed off
  4. or just leave all gladiators in one tank and call it a day...
decisions, decisions... hmmm...

The grear clown shuffle of COVID19 continues...

Wyoming whites checking out their new estate. Since they've been in my SN tank for so long, i decided to play it safe and keep all my CSBs in baskets except one that would go out or off the rock without a fight.

20200528_132332.jpg
20200528_132341.jpg

Chiller swaps done!

Had to rearrange some stands and equipment around but feeling better about protecting the key tanks i have. Still probably need to grab another 2-3 but rolling the dice and have plenty of ice ready. At least with SIP, i can do it the old fashioned way...

I'm pretty happy with the outcome of reorganizing my WB20, and making the decision to put the euro aqua there. The CL-150 is a peltzier cooling unit so i can put it i side the cabinet and simply leave the door open...might nudge the unit more towards the center as well.

To save space, i put my ATO bucket on top with a foam pad underneath...also moved wires and outlets onto the floor below.

On all my chiller lines I also put in think OD tubes to help minimize cooling loss... foam noodles are best but super ugly

20200528_173526.jpg

That last photo had me shit in my pants. I thought putting your wire and electrical stuff in the floor is a major disaster waiting to happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On a side note, i do regret not installing AC on my unit when we built it. Weather wasn't so bad a few years back, and back then i wasn't planning on turning it into a fish room. Sigh... in hindsight a single AC would have been more cost effective than running a chiller per tank...

View attachment 16176

I hear you. Chillers during the day and electric drop-in heaters at night... makes you start thinking about other solutions as the weather patterns get more erratic

That last photo had me shit in my pants. I thought putting your wire and electrical stuff in the floor is a major disaster waiting to happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Probably so.. i was planning on making a water resistant box or remounting the strip up on the cabinet over the weekend once i figure out my final placement for that chiller

WB20
====

Ugh. Seems like i am paying the price or my CSB is anyway for my slowness is getting my chillers setup in time.

The 2 days of heat we had took a hit on my Sang CSBs. Lost a lot of color during the mini heat spell. Became really apparent this morning.

Before - 5/27
20200527_113921.jpg

Today - 5/29

20200529_095610.jpg

You have too many tanks. Seems like you constantly are having mishaps with expensive inhabitants. Hope they recover.
yeah -- even more challenging these days with multiple tanks and not enough personal time at home with SIP. All my tank work is done in piecemeal.

The CSBs should recover...

Biocube 29
=====

Fine sand, a few rocks, chaeto in display, and Kessil shimmer make for a decent beach substitute during lockdown...

If I get up close, like I am almost there... maybe I'll get out my snorkel and dunk my head in for the full experience ;)

20200601_135147.jpg

Back