Neptune Aquatics

Need 140 gallons saltwater or RO water

Sorry guys for taking this off topic. If original poster wants me to move this conversation elsewhere, happy to do so. Just PM or post here to tell me.

If you think that's a good read...check out kati/ani.

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/kati_ani_di-onizer.htm
how much does a Kati-ani system cost?

How often do you need to recharge resin? I am a erratic/lazy reefer... So this system may not be for me...
----

Someone should make a chart of the cost benefits between these options.

For me, with my 150 gal tank and 5-10 gallon 2-3 week water changes (see what I mean about lazy?) and maybe 5 gallons every 3 days topoff... Not sure I need these.

Gimmick:
How many gallons do you make to justify these? U have a super large tank?

Sorry guys for taking this off topic. If original poster wants me to move this conversation elsewhere, happy to do so. Just PM or post here to tell me.
It wouldn't be a BAR thread if this thread didn't get derailed. :p

how much does a Kati-ani system cost?
My model 5 cost $499 new. You can find them used sometimes on RC.

How often do you need to recharge resin? I am a erratic/lazy reefer... So this system may not be for me...
I regenerate typically every 6 months.
----

Someone should make a chart of the cost benefits between these options.
Hmmm....no waste water and the ability to use cheap chemicals (muriatic acid/sodium hydroxide) to regenerate the resins ? I spend about 15 bucks total.

For me, with my 150 gal tank and 5-10 gallon 2-3 week water changes (see what I mean about lazy?) and maybe 5 gallons every 3 days topoff... Not sure I need these.
Only you can determine that.

Gimmito:
How many gallons do you make to justify these? U have a super large tank?

I make about 120 gallons a week on average. I have a 450 gallon main display...if you consider that super large. :D

I think we'll end up doing that kati-ani setup when the opportunity arises. I hate the idea of wasting water. :(

Funny how it's more popular with European reefers (than here in the states). Recharging is super easy, you just need the aforementioned chemicals, carboy, and you are good to go.

So for the Kati-Ani system, what do you do with the waste chemicals after you recharge?
Somehow that seems like more of a problem than waste water from RO.
Me: Waste water goes to the plants, and is far less then the sprinklers use, so a non-issue.

The RO water that I need for a new set up with only dry rock and dry sand on the tank right now, water from my RO-DI filter that I measure is 9 PPM, can I still use this water or must have water with 0-3 PPM? please advice.

The RO water that I need for a new set up with only dry rock and dry sand on the tank right now, water from my RO-DI filter that I measure is 9 PPM, can I still use this water or must have water with 0-3 PPM? please advice.
My opinion : Should be fine. Really only two concerns : Copper and Chloramine.
For a single fill and even some RODI, I cannot see that as an issue.
Heck, cycling with tap water is not unheard of.

Very strange that you are having so many problems with the RODI. Hope that can be fixed.

My opinion : Should be fine. Really only two concerns : Copper and Chloramine.
For a single fill and even some RODI, I cannot see that as an issue.
Heck, cycling with tap water is not unheard of.

Very strange that you are having so many problems with the RODI. Hope that can be fixed.

Im new on this hobby so I have a ton of question to ask, maybe it too much but sorry if I bother anyone. Enjoy hobby. cheers.

Im new on this hobby so I have a ton of question to ask, maybe it too much but sorry if I bother anyone. Enjoy hobby. cheers.
Ask away. Certainly not a bother.
Worst case, people will simply ignore the question.
Best case, and very common, we all learn something. (That is why I personally like it when threads get derailed.)

So for the Kati-Ani system, what do you do with the waste chemicals after you recharge?
Somehow that seems like more of a problem than waste water from RO.
Me: Waste water goes to the plants, and is far less then the sprinklers use, so a non-issue.

No problem at all...the waste water goes down the drain. :)

9 ppm after the filters? That seems wrong. Perhaps there is something wrong with your unit. That and your low product to waste ratio makes me wonder if perhaps your flow restrictor is not installed or defective. I get 1-2 ppm after the RO and 0 ppm after DI. I would think your Fremont water was a better source than my Santa Rosa liquid rock water.

Kati-Ani vs. RO/DI. Waste water -- just another reason for a pond! Don't send RO/DI waste down the drain. Use it for something. Watering plants, filling pond or collect it and flush the toilet!

John-there is no waste water with either the Kold Sterile Filters or Kati/Ani. I was referring to the waste water w/chemicals after recharging the Kati/Ani resins. You definitely don't want to put that into a pond or garden !

Sorry Jim. I wasn't really referring to your waste water. There could be issues with your system if you are on septic. I'm guessing your 'hood is fully plumbed! :)

Your waste water would make an interesting pond. Salton Sea biotope?

Dead_Fishes_on_the_shores_of_Salton_City.jpg

Kettlemen City? (perhaps a bit to harsh?? :) )

John, Fremont water is probably worse than Santa rosa?

I would figure all the silicon valley related semiconductor and tech that goes on in the area would increase TDS...

Tech waste in drinking water? Hayward gets it's water from SFPUC. Fine Yosemite water! The water report lists average TDS at 108 ppm. Santa Rosa's average TDS is 162 ppm.

I'm having a hard time believing the slight increase in TDS would hurt a toilet considering what usually goes into it! o_O

Also, those hand dryers are actually bad from a sanitation standpoint. Eco-friendly since not waste paper, but think about it...

It sucks in germ-laden bathroom air, blows it out at high speed, which simply dislodges more bacteria/germs on other surfaces and then pushes it on your hands.

Yuck!

This is from a health&safety class I was required to take.

Back