got ethical husbandry?

Need 140 gallons saltwater or RO water

Waste water can contain bacteria and it can be aerosolized by flushing. Not sure if this is correct or true, but I have heard it before

Um, trying to keep this not to gross, but...

What else besides a little bacteria in the RO/DI waste water might be in the toilet bowl when you flush? I'm not flushing an unused toilet!! :eek:

Not everything needs to be 'sanitary'.

OK, I give. You played the 'legionnaires disease' card. :)

Add some bleach to the water while in storage. Install UV for waste water. Put in microwave and cook it. Boil for at least 5 minutes!

Monk-in out!! (TV not religion) :) :) :) :)

Thank you for all kind feedback. I went ahead and use those water that I measure from my TDS-3 meter, it's 9ppm after filter. This is for new tank so water, dry sand and unsure rock need to go through a fews week of cycle. Yesterday, I add couple of rocks and a gallon of water from my brother current tank for seeding the rock and hope it will help a little bit.

By the way, another reason that I used my 9 ppm water is, I bring my 9ppm water to a reputed fish store and ask them to measure, they said they don't have tool to measure the water so i ask them I would like to compare my water and their water, they went ahead and do the test. The biggest surprise is their water show 15ppm, this is their RO-DI water that they are selling to customer for $50c/gal. I think they need to change their filter cartridge.

You can use bacteria in a bottle from Fritz or Dr. Tim's one and only to cycle the tank. Another way is to get a cup of sand from a established (and trusted) tank.

LFS aren't always able to stay on top of changing out their filters/resins...best bet is to make your own water.

your RO measurement seems fine. I have a hanna tds/ec/ph meter from my orchid growing days and find thata monthly calibration is very benificial. im pretty sure that the cal solution is pretty high tds, which should in turn produce a reliable low reading. from what i have read, seeding a tank with established rock(critters) can be pretty good. I have a 10 gal QT that has no pests and has alot of pods, big and small. Id toss you a couple small rocks and a cup or 2 of sand if u need some seeding. lemme know.

Back