Neptune Aquatics

Neptune Trident NP and new DOS!

SupraSaltyReefer

Supporting Member
Leaked! Neptune Trident NP and New DOSQD!
Official announcement on 04/15/2024
What’s your thoughts of Neptune vs Hydros?

IMG_0599.jpeg

IMG_0600.jpeg

IMG_0601.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0588.jpeg
    IMG_0588.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I just looked and didn't see it on there. Huh. Any word on whether it's only NO3 + PO4, or both?

EDIT: Looks like they deleted the photo from their FB group.

My other question is going to be how often it needs to run-is it going to run 2x a day for phosphate/nitrate -think it’s a bit overkill.

If there are only two reagents, not sure why the enclosure is the same size. Also not smart was not making a stackable design if it was going to be two different devices. How in the world are you going to fit this and a normal trident in a 36” wide or less tank stand? I’d venture to guess a good portion of their customers are in this size range.

Do these product managers/engineers even talk to their customers? On the surface, if this is real, doesn’t seem that they really thought this through.

If there are only two reagents, not sure why the enclosure is the same size. Also not smart was not making a stackable design if it was going to be two different devices. How in the world are you going to fit this and a normal trident in a 36” wide or less tank stand? I’d venture to guess a good portion of their customers are in this size range.

Do these product managers/engineers even talk to their customers? On the surface, if this is real, doesn’t seem that they really thought this through.
Still hoping it's a smaller form factor since it's only 2 reagent bottles. But knowing Neptune they probably used the same shell for cost savings.

The fact that it only tests for two parameters is missing the point. For many reefers, even if it only tested phosphate, it would be worth it. There was a time that was considered the holy grail in future thinking.

I thought there was a recent suggestion and discussion to not test the water for this, and/or that high phosphates at 1ppm are totally fine. Now we need a 700 USD device to test this twice a day. I am confused . Phosphate test with Fauna Marin takes 4 minutes, two drop bottles, super easy, even the color coding is acceptable. If you cannot see colors, then I understand, otherwise, I am not sure what the business case is for this.

Whoever does the industrial design for neptune should be fired into space. They continue to make stuff that looks like my kids paw patrol toys.

I thought there was a recent suggestion and discussion to not test the water for this, and/or that high phosphates at 1ppm are totally fine. Now we need a 700 USD device to test this twice a day. I am confused . Phosphate test with Fauna Marin takes 4 minutes, two drop bottles, super easy, even the color coding is acceptable. If you cannot see colors, then I understand, otherwise, I am not sure what the business case is for this.

I don't know if anyone suggested not to test phosphate (at least it wasn't me - I test mine fairly often mostly to make sure it doesn't approach zero). But I totally agree otherwise. This is the type of thing that's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, IMO. I bet it sells like crazy though.

Whoever does the industrial design for neptune should be fired into space. They continue to make stuff that looks like my kids paw patrol toys.

I don't know if anyone suggested not to test phosphate (at least it wasn't me - I test mine fairly often mostly to make sure it doesn't approach zero). But I totally agree otherwise. This is the type of thing that's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, IMO. I bet it sells like crazy though.
Good point. Maybe it is meant to identify timely if these parameters go to 0? This could be something people wanted to know.

Will not buy an auto tester for now, and see how it plays out. Does not look like they are winning though.

My kids never played with paw control toys. I assume someone spent a significant amount of time designing them; maybe intentionally then ?

I am not sure what the business case is for this.
Several reasons:
  • A vocal segment of customers have been asking for it, very loudly, for literal years
  • Public perception of Neptune is (generally) that they've more or less stagnated; contrast this with Hydros and others making a concerted effort to innovate and do new things
  • One school of marketing points to the idea that, to get someone to switch from their current solution/tool, you need to both provide a better solution and make them think that staying with their current solution is more painful than switching. If you pitch NO3/PO4 as painful, and Neptune doesn't have NO3/PO4, it's an easy case for Hydros (and others) to make to get them to switch. Just having NO3/PO4 testing could be a significant market advantage
  • Cost is not the end-all be-all, especially for people in hobbies with members that have disproportionately high amounts of disposable income. If someone already has all the other Neptune pieces, knows how they work, and has everything set up how they like it, the monetary cost may be more than worth it to avoid having to learn/integrate an entirely new system
  • Viewpoints on the importance of NO3 and PO4 vary and, as we're still learning things, aren't set in stone. Some people will buy this tool simply to be better safe than sorry
  • Some people are just innovators/early adopters and the technology (as well as trying it out before everyone else does) is the point

Back