High Tide Aquatics

New Guy Here

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and to the salt water fish keeping hobby in general. I've had fresh water tanks before but wanted a salt water tank really badly. I finally graduated from college this past June and said what the heck its time. I'm starting off small with a JBJ Nano 24 with a set of 150W metal halides. Right now I only have live rock, live sand, 2 emerald crabs, 1 scarlet hermit, and 1 pair of false perc clowns. I will slowly add coral and one or two more fish in the future. I currently live in south San Jose and hope to meet other reefers in the area.

Welcome!
Do ppl find the JBJ 28 overheats almost constantly? At the last shop I worked at we sold those JBJ's and customers had lots of issues w/ the heat. And on the 24, is that the 28g 150w mh hood on the 24 body? I know that hybrid really cuts down on the evap cooling from the filter (which is exposed when that hood is on the 28g). Sorry for all the questions.-Jim

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome! Jim, to answer your question about the JBJ heating issue. It is a problem if you have your lights on and keep your hood closed. My temperature would rise from 79 to 82 through the day if I kept the hood closed. I have since opted to remove the hood and replace it with a set of metal halides and a fan. No more heating issues. I don't know about your question regarding the 28g 150w mh hood on the 24 body. My tank did not come with metal halides. I bought them after market.

Back