Jestersix

New to the Bay Area

I'd imagine stuff will be arriving today and tomorrow. Gotta find a suitable stand. Thinking of some kind of end table/night stand from target if I can find one with decent dimensions.

Attachments

• kallax-shelf-unit-white__0400165_PE564141_S4.JPG
    kallax-shelf-unit-white__0400165_PE564141_S4.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 278
I used this one from Ikea for my biocube...You can add doors to hide some of the equipment...

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/20275814/
Thanks Klem, I did look at those. Too wide for the space I'm trying to use. Doors are a must, and witha 14 month old toddling around I'll have to find a way to baby proof the door too. I've found a few possibilities online but nothing ever states weight limit. Looking to actually see something in store, cause if I can sit on it and it not break it'll work lol.

So I'm stocking a cart with inTank and noticed chemipure blue. Has anyone ever used this in their nano? I always used to run chemipure elite and purigen, didn't know if this blue stuff was better.

I've used chemipure elite nano in my old 12 gallon nano. Worked well enough for me in keeping phosphate under control. Never saw GHA, not sure if that was because of this, but it didn't seem to cause any problems.

I've used chemipure elite nano in my old 12 gallon nano. Worked well enough for me in keeping phosphate under control. Never saw GHA, not sure if that was because of this, but it didn't seem to cause any problems.
Thanks Randy, little too much beer for me, I could've just done a quick google. I went with the blue.
Also, now have everything ordered minus the power strip and finding an acceptable stand.
Went to Neptune this past Saturday and it exceeded expectations. Only bummer was they didn't sell cured live rock, I'd prefer to just "skip" cycle. They did have a fantastic selection of dry rock, it was very purple/pink, I don't know if it was that painted stuff. It did look to have some dead macro algae still attached so maybe live at some point. Has anyone here ever started a tank with it? Biggest concern is leaching phosphates.

Edit: Meant to add, when everything gets here I'll start a build thread, final purchase is upgrade to supporting member. Thanks for all the help y'all.

Last edited:
Thanks Randy, little too much beer for me, I could've just done a quick google. I went with the blue.
Also, now have everything ordered minus the power strip and finding an acceptable stand.
Went to Neptune this past Saturday and it exceeded expectations. Only bummer was they didn't sell cured live rock, I'd prefer to just "skip" cycle. They did have a fantastic selection of dry rock, it was very purple/pink, I don't know if it was that painted stuff. It did look to have some dead macro algae still attached so maybe live at some point. Has anyone here ever started a tank with it? Biggest concern is leaching phosphates.

If it was "Real Reef Rock 2.0" it's the only stuff I'll use. I think it's fantastic. It's not painted.

It was in a big cardboard box, like 4'x4' with an open top. Totally dry though. You've used it, no extreme nutrients being unleashed?
I used it. It's not reused or recycled rock. There are no surprises in store. Only thing I would say against it is not very porous so consider marine pure or siporax in the sump to help with bacterial filtration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the pukani from BRS. Very porous, looks good, interlocks well together to look like a single piece, and fairly inexpensive (3.79/lb). It does have to be cured though. Took me exactly 31 days to cure and cycle.

I second the Pukani from BRS. It's so light weight also so you get more and for your buck. It's also easy to chip with a hammer and screwdriver to create your own unique designs. And with it being so porous, there is even more room for bacteria to grow and thrive. Dry rock like that is the only want to start a new tank. Live rock has too many risks.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of great builds with the BRS rock but for the "vision" I've got for this little tank I've gotta be able to pick the stuff in person. So little real estate, I'd end up ordering fifty lbs. and still not get what I want.
In other news the order I had with BRS had a few hiccups but stuff is finally in the way and should arrive Monday. Placed an order with inTank too. Only need to pick up a decent power strip, timers, stand, and an ato container. Gonna his a few second hand stores this weekend to see if I can find something that fits for a stand.
Getting stoked, should be able to get wet within the next two weeks.

I've seen a lot of great builds with the BRS rock but for the "vision" I've got for this little tank I've gotta be able to pick the stuff in person. So little real estate, I'd end up ordering fifty lbs. and still not get what I want.
In other news the order I had with BRS had a few hiccups but stuff is finally in the way and should arrive Monday. Placed an order with inTank too. Only need to pick up a decent power strip, timers, stand, and an ato container. Gonna his a few second hand stores this weekend to see if I can find something that fits for a stand.
Getting stoked, should be able to get wet within the next two weeks.

When I put together my last build my local LFS store let me take home a few cases of newly arrived and unopened Real Reef Rock. I selected what I needed and returned the rest. Perhaps you can arrange something similar or arrange to be there when a new order comes in and pick what you need.

Back