Our mission

Peace of Mind with 13KW Whole House Generator Finally Done

Well, after ordering my generator in February, receiving it in March on the first day of the shutdown, it finally got moved from off the street and on to the pad last Sunday..
I was able to order a Generac Guardian 13KW a few days before the free 10yr warranty offer expired, and the day they started a 10% discount so I got a great deal. Included in the purchase was 100 feet of 13-16kw cable, a 200 amp Siemens sub-panel with auto transfer, and a concrete Genpad.
Due to the virus, all crews that were lined up cancelled so it sat in the street for over 2 months (live on a private street thank God!).
With the help of my wife, an engine hoist, and a HarborFreight 1000 lb capacity yard cart, we were able to get it off the street and on the pad.
During the shutdown on the weekends, the electrical was ran under the house to the pad, and I had a plumber run 1.25" gas pipe from the meter to the pad. Each run was about 85 feet.
I'm not an electrician, but have worked around new construction and watching and asking electricians for advice, the electrical went without any issue and to code!
It is working as it should and now my wife can live comfortably without the worry of no power during PG&E outages, and won't worry about any livestock loss.
Total cost was less than $6000.00 and would have been about $4300.00 if I could have put it by the meter and main breaker box.
I'm now ready to add more fish and coral and really get going on my tank.
IMG_1249.jpg
IMG_0498(1).jpg
IMG_0509.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Note: You are without power while switching over to generator for about 20 seconds and a couple of seconds during switching back to utility power. A 1300 watt ups will be added to feed the tank so it should not see any interruptions during this time.

Would be nice to have but we're not away from the house enough to justify it. Our power hasn't been out days either.

This is awesome.
Is it self starting?
Which model is this?
How would it connect to the house? Is it complicated or you can connect it yourself?

This is awesome.
Is it self starting?
Which model is this?
How would it connect to the house? Is it complicated or you can connect it yourself?
Yes, it is self starting. It senses utility power outage, starts, warms up for a few seconds, then automatically transfers.
Model purchased was Generac Guardian 7173. Didn't get the one with the transfer switch because I needed a new breaker box, so I also got the Generac 5449 GenReady Load Center (NEMA1) and installed a 100 amp breaker in my old box to feed the load center, then installed all new breakers.
Connecting to the house isn't that difficult if you are VERY comfortable and compitent doing electrical. I am getting to old to do my own plumbing.

Yes, it is self starting. It senses utility power outage, starts, warms up for a few seconds, then automatically transfers.
Model purchased was Generac Guardian 7173. Didn't get the one with the transfer switch because I needed a new breaker box, so I also got the Generac 5449 GenReady Load Center (NEMA1) and installed a 100 amp breaker in my old box to feed the load center, then installed all new breakers.
Connecting to the house isn't that difficult if you are VERY comfortable and compitent doing electrical. I am getting to old to do my own plumbing.
Thanks for sharing this is awesome

Would be nice to have but we're not away from the house enough to justify it. Our power hasn't been out days either.
We take 1- 2 week vactions at a time. The last time traveling there was a 2.5 day outage and we were on the Big Island. Lost about $200.00 in food. Want to be able to leave the house and not have to run home. This takes the worry out of it.

Good stuff. Make sure you test regularly. I’ve seen a number of installs never working as intended. And most of the generator guys just shrug it off!!!. Are you monitoring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff. Make sure you test regularly. I’ve seen a number of installs never working as intended. And most of the generator guys just shrug it off!!!. Are you monitoring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Automatically self tests once a week and have app on my phone that monitors it. Thanks for the input. Will watch monitor carefully!

We take 1- 2 week vactions at a time. The last time traveling there was a 2.5 day outage and we were on the Big Island. Lost about $200.00 in food. Want to be able to leave the house and not have to run home. This takes the worry out of it.
Yeah I'll stick with the portable gas powered unless it starts going out for days.

I expect more PSPS every year so it's probably a good investment. Natural gas burns cleaner than gasoline or diesel generators. Probably quieter too.

Just a quick update on the generator.
August 16 about 3:00 am power went out and within 15 seconds the generator kicked on.
Neighbor was in back yard watching the electrical storm when power was lost and mentioned how fast it came on.
Power was restored around 6pm so about 15 hours on the first non test run.
With 3 ups units in place, no outage at all in reef tank, tv's, or wifi.
Neighbor didn't complain about being too loud, but just for insurance, a heavy duty extension cord was tossed over the fence so they could keep things going.
Wife was happy and no worries by us.
Just my experience, but now have confidence to leave for at least a week at a time.

Back