High Tide Aquatics

PSA: Should've followed my gut (Learn from my mistakes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

Long time reef follower but new reefer! I've always thought keeping reefs and saltwater fish was an amazing hobby but I could never flip the switch to actually purchase my first aquarium... until yesterday. I did my research and watched videos to gain as much knowledge as I could.

I knew I wanted something small cause I'm limited on space in my house, so I decided that a Biocube 14 Gallon or an Innovative Marine 10 Gallon AIO would be perfect... I found on craigslist a lady selling a CoralLife BioCube 14 that was listed as basically knew cause she had only used it as a quarantine tank. I told her I was a newbie, and there I made my first mistake... I asked her what I should do and how I should set it up. She seemed very nice over text and answering all my questions. She said that I was getting a steal for the Biocube 14 gallon (and she gave me a heater and live sand to start off) for ONLY $125.

I was amazed by her generosity cause she had also said she would give me some frags and a light when I was ready to grow some awesome coral.

Once I got home, I found out there were issues with the Biocube. So I had messaged her to ask for a refund because it has merely been 12 hours before and it was still sitting in the back of my car. Her response to was "Sorry, you can sell it again on craiglist but I can't take it back. That is the risk for getting used items on Craigslist." She knew I was a newbie and took advantage of that. I even offered her to only refund me $100 and that she could keep $25 as a inconvenience fee. She has now ignored my messages since.

Now still less than 24 hours since I had bought my "awesome" BioCube, I'm sitting here out of $125. I cannot imagine selling a biocube with issues, like she did because I do not want for someone to fall on the same sword I did.

My public services announcement is: Learn from my mistake and do not do business with Diane aka DeeReef

Welcome to the club first of all.
Some of us have been "there" and is frustrating sometimes but it is what it is (craigslist)
You've reached a nice audience here and I'm sure you'll like this club and all the things it has to offer.
Good thing is you have a starter tank but yeah, a more broad description of the issues would be appreciated.

Diane is a guest of our club (and not a supporting member) and I have heard from others that she has tried to get the better of them. What exactly are the issues??

So, I just talked to Diane (Deereef) and she said there were no problems with the tank and that you had buyers remorse and wanted to return the tank so that you could buy a Nuvo? Every issue has 2 sides.
Cheers! Mark

What issues are you referring to? Hate to say it but expecting someone to undo a Craigslist transaction isn’t reasonable. Second ‘hate to say it’ is that $50 for a used biocube is probably more than plenty...

Reefing is sometimes a hobby that thrives on newbies...keep an eye out.

It is not buyer's remorse when it was an over promise of the capability of what she was providing me. She told me the light was great but its three generation old technology (Power Compact). It is not the issues with the tank that is the biggest problem, its feeding off and thriving from people who only want to join the hobby. I put trust in her to show me about the hobby, but instead it was just a chance for her to make an easy buck.

Doesn't sound like any issues with the tank. Buy new if you want new.
Power compacts work fine. Sounds like you got in over your head and want to blame someone else for whatever it is you aren't happy about. Needless to say this isn't the best first impression to make to everyone in this club. Please consider allowing me to delete the thread for you. I find unnecessarily negative towards another guest here and unneeded.

If a biocube is only worth fifty bucks used, I just paid $125. I trusted her when she said it was a great deal. It is the trust, that is the main issue.

If a biocube is only worth fifty bucks used, I just paid $125. I trusted her when she said it was a great deal. It is the trust, that is the main issue.
Don't go to Craigslist if you want to "trust" people. Go to a store, pay full retail price for a product with a warranty. Don't act like they are the same. Admit this is your own fault.

Wow, for a President of BAR you are not the most welcoming person. You can't see it past yourself that a new person got exploited to join a hobby that you're trying to promote.

Don't go to Craigslist if you want to "trust" people. Go to a store, pay full retail price for a product with a warranty. Don't act like they are the same. Admit this is your own fault.

Admit what? Admit that I'm a new reefer putting trust into people to show me the hobby? I'll admit that.

Phamkap,
This is not fair of you!! You came on here and posted that she (Deereef) ripped you off by selling you a tank with issues. I took you at face value and contacted Diane to have her make this right. If she i fact sold you "a tank with issues that you cannot imagine selling a biocube with issues, like she did because I do not want for someone to fall on the same sword I did."
We were there for you!!!! Bay Area Reefers got involved on your behalf. and now it appears that there really was no issues and then you insult our president - shame on you!!
Mark

As a guest, I'm trying to understand this whole situation. I'm not taking any sides. I'm just a bystander.

From what I read through the thread, iCon states that the used biocube is only worth $50 at best. The OP just paid $125 for the biocube and according to the OP, the seller stated that it was a "steal" and he trusted her word because he was a newbie as he stated. Everyone agrees that the OP made the mistake of purchasing the used equipment on craigslist (caveat emptor)? Everyone agrees that he overpaid?

QUESTION: Is everyone in this club okay with the fact that the OP was taken for $75?

I am fine with whatever legal transaction two consenting adults make on Craigslist. Not sure what the value of a used biocube is. I'm not ok with new guests coming on here and accusing other guests of things.

The fact that you think a new reefer getting taken for $75 is okay, makes you a disgrace. You're the face of this club and you have the audacity to think that is okay.

As a guest, I'm trying to understand this whole situation. I'm not taking any sides. I'm just a bystander.

From what I read through the thread, iCon states that the used biocube is only worth $50 at best. The OP just paid $125 for the biocube and according to the OP, the seller stated that it was a "steal" and he trusted her word because he was a newbie as he stated. Everyone agrees that the OP made the mistake of purchasing the used equipment on craigslist (caveat emptor)? Everyone agrees that he overpaid?

QUESTION: Is everyone in this club okay with the fact that the OP was taken for $75?
Was he taken?? He did his research, found what he wanted and bought it. As a side note, this transaction has nothing to do with BAR?? If he feels ripped offf, perhaps contact Craigslist (where the transaction took place)
I am Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back