Kessil

PSA: Should've followed my gut (Learn from my mistakes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was he taken?? He did his research, found what he wanted and bought it. As a side note, this transaction has nothing to do with BAR?? If he feels ripped offf, perhaps contact Craigslist (where the transaction took place)
I am Done

It is a public services announcement, it doesn't have to have anything to do with BAR because it has to have something to do with the Hobby. I never ripped the club or bashing it, I'm exposing the truth behind what happened to me. Also, now I'm exposing the truth behind this audacity of a President and his biases.

Buying used equipment from CL as a new hobbyist, in any hobby, is always going to carry an element of risk because you’re new to that hobby. Sure, there are deals to be had, but you’re just as likely to end up with something that’s less than you expected it to be. If the light works (did you test it before buying?), and the tank doesn’t leak, it’s value to you should not drop because you’ve discovered you could have bought something else, or found it for cheaper. And it doesn’t mean the seller ripped you off.

If you would have posted here before your purchase, telling the group what you’re looking for, I have a feeling a few people would have offered up tanks they’re not using for great deals, maybe even something for free. And it would have been in the forum, where you could ask questions and see other’s responses. Mike is offering you a chance to effectively start over with your introduction to the club. And this is a club, where people meet and know each other, and have seen each other’s tanks – not just an anonymous forum. I understand your frustration with what seems like a bad deal, but if you’re interested in the what the club has to offer, especially for people just getting started, I’d take Mike up on his offer to delete this post, if it still stands...

The fact that you think a new reefer getting taken for $75 is okay, makes you a disgrace. You're the face of this club and you have the audacity to think that is okay.

Before you quote me on stuff, please note that any Craigslist transaction is at your own discretion. If someone wants to pay a million dollars for a biocube, that’s their prerogative and it’s up to them to research/negotiate a fair price. What’s fair to one person may not be fair to another.

Also, it’s not the President’s job to verify and police Craigslist transactions. The club is run off volunteers who put in a lot of their own time.

You started out by saying something was wrong with the tank, but it just sounds like you didn’t do your research. This club is full of people that’ll help you figure out what’s fair/not fair, but you’ve go to be reasonable. If you run off and do your own thing, that’s all on you. Again, a very helping community but ask questions before, not after the fact.

Mistake 1: Trusting someone on craigslist..

Mistake 2: Not doing your research.

Mistake 3: Posting it on here.

Lol...
So what you are saying is that members of this club like to beat on someone while they are down? Duly noted!

I'm responding to your "Mistake 3: Posting it on here." Don't post on BAR because all the special members will tear you apart bit by bit.

Last edited:
What is happening. Everyone is saying the same thing but getting offended. The internet is weird and it’s hard to understand fully what the intentions are.

I know this club is full of people who mean well. But with anything, things can be taken in a way that wasn’t intended. Can we hit a reset button on all of this?

What is happening. Everyone is saying the same thing but getting offended. The internet is weird and it’s hard to understand fully what the intentions are.

I know this club is full of people who mean well. But with anything, things can be taken in a way that wasn’t intended. Can we hit a reset button on all of this?
I agree. I think this is mostly a communication issue.

I think the op was looking for more of an, “awe, that sucks man. Thanks for the heads up”, kind of response to validate what had happened to him. Although, I hope you (@Phamkap) can admit that you were a bit deceptive in your post as well by saying that the tank had issues.

To address how @Coral reefer responded; it may have come across as harsh but realize that he protects this club like a mother bear. There are members who have been active on here for more than a decade and we don’t want to lose those members and their valuable input. If he feels like the club is being threatened he’s going to act.

Lastly, I’m impressed with @Mark B going the extra mile to actually contact this other individual to try and solve your issue. This club is a great place and is made up of great people. People are flawed though so sometimes things like this happen. If you can look past it there is a wealth of information and generosity that can be had here.

I agree. I think this is mostly a communication issue.

I think the op was looking for more of an, “awe, that sucks man. Thanks for the heads up”, kind of response to validate what had happened to him. Although, I hope you (@Phamkap) can admit that you were a bit deceptive in your post as well by saying that the tank had issues.

To address how @Coral reefer responded; it may have come across as harsh but realize that he protects this club like a mother bear. There are members who have been active on here for more than a decade and we don’t want to lose those members and their valuable input. If he feels like the club is being threatened he’s going to act.

Lastly, I’m impressed with @Mark B going the extra mile to actually contact this other individual to try and solve your issue. This club is a great place and is made up of great people. People are flawed though so sometimes things like this happen. If you can look past it there is a wealth of information and generosity that can be had here.

Let's stick to the facts here and stay away from accusations and victim blaming.

I don't see anywhere where the OP "threatened the club" and therefore I do not see a reason for such retaliation against him, especially by so many BAR members. A President should be professional and not act out "like a mother bear." Am I wrong?

Furthermore, what you are essentially saying is that some members obtain a sort of tenure above all other members and are therefore above reproach. Meaning that if these special members feel "threatened," then the whole club, board members and all, will come out and gang up against the "other lesser member."

I'm not making this up. I'm just clarifying your words and what they sound like to other lesser members who will read this. So far, the actions of "special members" on this thread speak for themselves. I'm just summarizing all of what has transgressed in the past day.

Back to the OP, the OP stated flickering issues with the lights and that the seller put some sort of tape over the light bulbs. Are we just going to selectively ignore certain issues and accuse the OP of being deceptive when most of the people on here have shown him no sort of compassion for his predicament? In other words, you think OP is going to tell you everything when all you've done is tear him apart to shreds? I'm just trying to figure what you think OP owes you in all of this when you've shown him no mercy?

Finally, to those who think that OP got a fair transaction and have treated him as such, then by all means you would have no problem buying it off his hands, right? After all, he has stated that he is willing to sell it for $100 and take a $25 loss on what he paid. This is such a generous club, right? Any takers? Come on, put your money where your mouth is! ;)

The fact that you think a new reefer getting taken for $75 is okay, makes you a disgrace. You're the face of this club and you have the audacity to think that is okay.

Wow!
The fact is you agreed on craigslist to the purchase price; ON CRAIGSLIST.
Now you assume you were taken for $75 based on a comment/opinion from a member and another person's reason is that you were taken for $75 which I do not agree on since you, agreed to the price. There are not set rules on pricing used equipment anywere, and any person newbie or veteran of any hobby should know this unles you are very, very young hence a bit naive.
You do not attack anyone on on a club that is by far, the best there is and that fact is due to the people that make this club happen; from all current and past BOD members to every single member and guest.
It was your decision, your agreement with the craigslist seller, the sum of $125 for the biocube, a heater and live sand, seller offered you to give you frags in the future?
In the case the seller have had a price of $25 because she did not know what was worth, would you have felt some guilt into thinking the tank was worth more? Gone back and say here's an extra $25...No, right; you would have scored a heck of a deal.
This club is as generous as the word itself, many people go the extra "10" miles to help others, many times they show up to help a "user name" without knowing a face, some drive quite a long distance to lend a hand, cross bridges, give time of their own when they could be earning money; there comes a time when the $ figure is not there anymore, there has been stronger things developing, fellowship, friendship, feeling part of a family and that is something I don't see quite often as it happens in BAR.
I don't know for how long you have been a registered user in this club, if your initial post is to express the frustration of a not so great deal, yet again, on craigslist. I don't know if you will stay in this club but I'm positive that if you do stay, you will see the generosity of this club and that means the people who make this club and those who run it.

reeferfoxx=death by snu snu?
This is starting to make sense if so.

Doesn’t really matter. Let’s lock this thread up as it’s gotten way sidetracked.

Main takeaway: Any deal on Craigslist is a consenting agreement between a buyer and seller, and the club bears absolutely no responsibility. Whether you paid $1 or $1,000,000, that’s on you. I wouldn’t take that tank for $0 (and many members wouldn’t take it), simply because I have/had too many dry tanks laying around.

If you want to join the community, then welcome! If you’re here to complain about a private transaction, you’re in the wrong spot.

Wow! I don’t understand why this has escalated to this level. I sold him a biocube that was barely used. No scratches. Everything was in proper working order to my knowledge. I spend so much time advising him how tiger started and promised to give him corals once he get the tank set up. The amount of corals that he was going to get will probably be triple the cost of what he paid for the tank.
The next day he tx me and said he wanted to return the tank because he wants to buy a nova tank without addressing any issue with the biocube. I told him that I will not take it back and he can resell it on Craigslist. I do not believe I charged him too much for the condition of the tank. If a reefer can post a fair price I will refund the amount. I had to block Kenny phone number from my phone because He keep Texting. Let me know thru this post a good amount and I will refund him thru PayPal!

To be honest most sales transaction on Craigslist don't come with return policy. If you agree and paid it's done. I don't get how this thread can get so out of hand over this. It's not like this transaction happened on BAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow! I don’t understand why this has escalated to this level. I sold him a biocube that was barely used. No scratches. Everything was in proper working order to my knowledge. I spend so much time advising him how tiger started and promised to give him corals once he get the tank set up. The amount of corals that he was going to get will probably be triple the cost of what he paid for the tank.
The next day he tx me and said he wanted to return the tank because he wants to buy a nova tank without addressing any issue with the biocube. I told him that I will not take it back and he can resell it on Craigslist. I do not believe I charged him too much for the condition of the tank. If a reefer can post a fair price I will refund the amount. I had to block Kenny phone number from my phone because He keep Texting. Let me know thru this post a good amount and I will refund him thru PayPal!
I hope you feel like we stuck up for you at least, sorry this was posted on here, and I did try to get the op to come to his senses and let me remove the thread. No luck. I don't lightly delete things on here, and like to respect people freedom to post their opinions. Hopefully he has moved on and this will die down. I would not be inclined to deal with someone who acted like he did any further, and the fact that you even offer to make it right some how after all this says to me you belong here and I hope you stay and become a full supporting member.

Fair is whatever someone will pay for an item. Just look at Bitcoin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back