High Tide Aquatics

Question on T5 lighting

I'd like some input from anybody who rns T5 lighting, or have seen them in use, because I'm kinda out of date on this. I spoke to dswong about SPS under T5s, and he said its feasible, but I'd like more input before I forge ahead with my project.

I bought a 30g (30x16x12) and I intended to set it up for higher light corals, but my girlfriend really likes the look of the canopy and she'll be pissed if I modify it for HQI. So I'm thinking I could retrofit a 6 bulb, possibly 8 bulb setup under the canopy, but I'll have to research some more retrofit kits. So far I'm only finding 6 bulb kits that mount somewhat easily in that thing. ( I hate narrow tanks. I just got this thing cheap.) I've been looking around a bit on the web about PAR values from T5s, but not much is coming up. Just how bright are these things? Is anybody local using them for SPS? Growth rates, coloration?

Thanks in advance for any input. If I have to, I guess I can modify the canopy and stick in some halides ( and live in the doghouse for a few weeks).

Well it depends how you ask, some who live by t5 lighting will swear that it can be "as bright" as metal halide lighting often "with the right reflector", and others who will say that's b.s.

I happen to be with the "that's b.s." crowd, and sometime back someone posted some actual PAR numbers in the SPS forum at RC and pretty much showed that to be true, as the T5s weren't even close to having the same PAR.

Now that does not mean it can not be done, people have kept SPS under VHOs, doesn't mean I would personally recommend it, but it can be done. I would probably stick with "cheaper" species atleast initially to test things out and see how they react, you might need to have them on for longer periods of time or simply suppliment more food. But this is the point where any "expertise" I have is gone, while I do have t5 lighting over a tank, it's over a softie tank and for them that is more than sufficient lighting (24" deep tank with 4-54w t5s)

with 6 bulbs you should be able to keep everything in that tank. Get the Icecap reflector for better result. Make sure don't use too many actinic bulbs.

for a 30, I think 6 t5 HO bulbs and good reflector will be plenty. my friend so far has no problems, but not sure about all sps, start with the easier ones first.

I've used T5's and for sure you'll grow some SPS - but they'll need to be up really high (close). Don't expect too much growth from them compared to MH's - I didn't really see that much of a growth when I had T5's over my 65g till I switched to MH.

I'm not even sure if you could put 6 T5's with individual reflectors in such a small tank. I would opt for:

Actinic
SUN
50/50
Actinic

You'll best bet is to put at least one SUN T5 bulb to get that growth.

JMO - I'm sure people will chime it. BTW - there's a thread on RC where Sanjay is testing the T5 compared to MH.

T5s vs MH .. what would be the ultimate faceoff ?

Thank you all for the input so far. To Arbitrate, thanks for the link to the RC thread, I missed that.

To Arbitrate, how close is "close"? Like an inch under the surface? If I'm constrained to put all my coral at the top, that would kinda suck. I am hoping to put at least 6 bulbs in there, not too sure if 4 will do the job.

sfsuphysics, I've even kept SPS (montis) under PC and indeed, it can be done. Having done it myself, I wouldn't recommend it either. I can't seem to get the same growth and coloration I see in tanks lit with halides. I am really wondering what type of improvement I can see under t5s.

Well, from my old tank - I had the sps's about no more than 10" below the lights. Since your tank is only (is it 16" high and 12" deep or 12" high and 16" deep), I would put the sps's mid to high. Shrooms should be on the bottom and may be shade them a little - T5's are bright. I think 4 (with individual T5 bulb reflectors - I would get IC retros) for your tank dimension would be more than enough. Have you seen a T5 lighted reef tank? They're pretty bright and do get a little hot inside a canopy. You should have a some small fan to circulate cool air.

I would like add one thing and that is much of it is also depndant on the ballast.

I inherited To-Arbitrate (whatever happened to Skorpinok) T-5 lighting and will be replacing the ballasts with an IceCap ballast that will overdrive the bulbs.

Raddogz,
I did read about the Icecap ballast overdriving the bulbs. To Arbitrate was right. I've measured everything and there's no way I can stuff 6 bulbs under that canopy. I will have to squeeze every last bit of output from 4 bulbs, I think.
To Arbitrate,
Just to pick your brain one last time, you do think a 4 bulb (4x24w) setup is sufficient? I must confess I've never seen a reef lit solely by T5s, just T5s supplementing halides. I will probably be picking up a retrofit kit this week, and I do want to get this thing right the first time.

I truly appreciate all the help from all of you.

Blink*,

Where are you located? I have a 70g with 220w T5 (4x55) only. You're welcome to stop by for a look. I'm in SF.

-Charles

Charles,
I recently moved to Burlingame on the Peninsula, but I'm a SF native and am in the city often. thanks for the offer, I may just do that. Are you keeping SPS in your 70? What do you think about 4-24w over a 30Lx18Hx12W tank? Doable?
Alan

Alan,

Definitely doable and you'll be happy about the comparatively low heat. You should be pretty close on watts per gal to what I have. I have kept SPS in the past with good growth, but in my tank transfer I lost a bit so most of my SPS are currently in a buddy's tank.

But that's another story.

The lights were definitely not the problem. I keep SPS in the top 1/3 of the tank and am using 2 of the 2x55 Tek fixtures with built in ballasts. I previously had 220w of PC and saw a significant increase in output when I switched. I've had the T5s for a year now and have not yet switch bulbs.

PM me if you want to stop by.

-Charles

[quote author=blink* link=topic=1664.msg15276#msg15276 date=1170029217]
Just to pick your brain one last time, you do think a 4 bulb (4x24w) setup is sufficient?[/quote]

IME - if you were to keep certain SPS in mid to high in you tank, then yes. You could even get a way with the Tek Sun Light Supply retro's. But, if I were you - I'd get the ICECAP 4 T5 retro's. Even though they're a little more expensive but, you won't regret getting those IC retros.

I'd still put a fan in the canopy though ----- ;D

I have the TEK 8bulb (54x8) 48" set up in my 100 gal... Its bright as heck... and have sps growing in there.. I live in pacifica if you want to take a look at it. I have the atinics go on at 3pm and white go on at 4pm so if you want to come by to take a look it would be after 4pm.

Charles-
"DELSOL650"

those who see my tank think i have MH just because how bright and colorfull my SPS are. you can keep anything anf they will do great. and just for referance. all the best tanks in europe are lit with T5's

Back