Cali Kid Corals

R/C Helicopters

Any other heli pilots out there? Well, radio controlled model helicopters, that is. Some of you may know that I have a bug about heli's that nearly matches my interest in reef keeping. I wondered if there are any other advanced (collective pitch) heli pilots in the group. In any case, if you don't live too far away and would like a lunch time "fly in" at your work, all you need is an open space about the size of a picnic area and I'll visit you with an assortment of current technology helis for a demo. For me, it's any excuse to put them in the air. I fly every day when I can. I'll update this post with some pics of my birds in the next day or so.

John,
Only in simulators on the computer but pretty darn good at that. Give me the sticks of the t-rex and tell me how I do ;)
Do fly planes however. F4U and have plans to build an A-10 but who knows when I'll actually deal with the latter.

Sounds like a lunch time fly in at your work location may be in order...... :) How far away is it????? LOL
I'm always happy to see folks transition into the trex or other C.P. heli's I now have two Trex's, a little 250 and a 450 Pro. Both fly REALLY well and are a bit of a handful.

Cool, my cousin just gave me a RC heli. I just need to pick it up. Dont know whats the make and model, but i looks pretty fancy. He has 6 of them and gave me one. He suggested for me to buy a simulator before trying it out. But i have no clue on what simulator to get. He mentioned Phoenix, but i wasnt sure what it was. Any advice.. hopefully i could learn from a simulator and fly my new heli.

drdoolittle said:
Cool, my cousin just gave me a RC heli. I just need to pick it up. Dont know whats the make and model, but i looks pretty fancy. He has 6 of them and gave me one. He suggested for me to buy a simulator before trying it out. But i have no clue on what simulator to get. He mentioned Phoenix, but i wasnt sure what it was. Any advice.. hopefully i could learn from a simulator and fly my new heli.
My coworker (lunchtime flying buddy) has realflight on the computer and I can't say if it is the best or not but I'd have complete confidence taking off

and crashing johns bird straight into the lagoon.

hey my dad builds proto-type rc wings and gliders for a company then does videos and stuff for that company.... he loves his wings and i know they are not helis, but rc nuts are rc nuts...

look up ritewing

A reefer back in the midwest, and LFS owner Bruce Davidson is one hell of an HLG'er (hand launched Glider) He competes internationally :D

Here he is teaching a class...

[youtube]WEFOB6XlUQ8[/youtube]

and him flying near his house

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJoircgY-wk&feature=related

drdoolittle said:
Phoenix is a great simulator. It's the one I use to do those fancy maneuvers that I won't do at the park! Today's transmitters operate at 2.4 Ghz and allow programing of several different models. For that reason, those planning to do some serious hobby flying should invest in a radio such as Spektrum's Dx6i or Dx7i. They are in the $200 range and allow you to program one model as the Phoenix. You use your actual transmitter to fly the Phoenix. The program allows downloads from their website of new model profiles. This way you can program the actual model you wish to lean to fly into your desktop or laptop. It's much more effective to display the image on a large monitor. I use a Dell 23" wide screen and that's about minimum for good training. A regular large screen HD television monitor is better. Bottom line: I don't use it much. Once I learned to hover, I do all my training at the local park. Sure, I do a lot of repairs too but my ability is growing in leaps and bounds.

xinumaster said:
I want to get in to this RC too, so I can have some time to play with my son. Instead of the video games which I get dizzy easily.
It's a wonderful hobby and both challenging and rewarding too. The building is nearly as much fun as the flying. I followed the instructions of a fellow named "Finless Bob" who writes and films instructional videos on heli building on www.helifreak.com. I've got a small desk set up with tools, good lighting, electrical etc. where I can keep an ongoing project safe. It usually will take me 2 or 3 sessions of about 2 hours to complete a heli.
It can get a little pricey when building a larger heli such as an Align Trex 600 or a Gaui 550.
A couple very capable stores are both in the South Bay. Aeromicro in Santa Clara has plenty of transmitters, plane and heli kits, and (very important) spare parts! Also, Grand RC is one of Align's biggest distributers on the West Coast and they are opening a new retail store in Sunnyvale. They have superb mail order service and provide most of my parts via priority mail next day delivery for $6 shipping. When I order a lot of stuff, I often order direct from China via www.flying-hobby.com. They ship via international Express Mail and can be tracked via the normal USPS web site. I'd suggest getting a very inexpensive "toy" helicopter if you just want to explore the idea a little bit. If you are serious about leaning to fly 3D aerobatic fast and exciting helis then consider an Align Trex series. They are the most popular serious heli in the world and have a great support network. The Trex 450 is the standard by which all other "serious" r/c helis are measured. A kit for this heli complete with everything except the 2.4 Ghz receiver and a transmitter is $500.00. A smaller version, the Trex 250 is also a fabulous flyer and about $350.00 for a similar kit that includes servos, gyro, speed controller with voltage regulator. etc. etc. You'll also need LiPo batteries and a ballancing charger. Batteries are about $50 ea (three cell, 11.1 volts) and the charger is between $100-200. I'll be glad of offer my thoughts to anyone exploring this hobby.

houser said:
drdoolittle said:
My coworker (lunchtime flying buddy) has realflight on the computer and I can't say if it is the best or not but I'd have complete confidence taking off

and crashing johns bird straight into the lagoon.
Nowadays, I only auger in when I'm pushing my luck. Yesterday, I had flew the 550 Gaui and the Trex 250 for two sessions before I picked up my fly-by speed. I was marveling at just how fast the 250 was when I got too close to the ground and caught a blade on the turf. Bent the main shaft and the feathering shafts. Parts are cheap like 7 bucks for two new main shafts. It takes about 45 min to swap out the bent hardware. I've done extensive repairs on all helis as it's just part of the deal. If I take the big bird out over the lagoon, I'll be behaving myself!

eldiablosrt8 said:
hey my dad builds proto-type rc wings and gliders for a company then does videos and stuff for that company.... he loves his wings and i know they are not helis, but rc nuts are rc nuts...

look up ritewing
I know ritewing. Flying wings are the most popular "planks" these days. I recently built a little SpeedWing www.speedwing.net and am still getting comfortable flying it. It is able to fly pretty slow, like a jogging speed, but also flys real fast like 50 mph. I keep forgetting to keep it down and fly further than I was planning. I've fished it out of the trees more than once. A guy in Colorado who is a concrete contractor developed the design and it's truly a blast to fly. Small too, just 24" wing span.

GreshamH said:
A reefer back in the midwest, and LFS owner Bruce Davidson is one hell of an HLG'er (hand launched Glider) He competes internationally :D

Here he is teaching a class...

and him flying near his house

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJoircgY-wk&feature=related
Oh Great, Gresh! Now look what you've done..............you aimed me at a branch of the hobby I wasn't familiar with! Oh oh............Great looking bird and extremely cool launch technique. Maybe I need to investigate LOL

I'll tell you who's crazy - those DS guys doing a few hundred MPH when it's blowing 40. Those guys are freaking nuts. We used to slopesoar up at Cummings skyway between HWY 4 and HWY 80. You could fly for hours and hours and hours on a single charge with the flying wings.

And John, let's just say there's stuff on the simulator I wouldn't try on a real one (at first)!!

houser said:
I'll tell you who's crazy - those DS guys doing a few hundred MPH when it's blowing 40. Those guys are freaking nuts. We used to slopesoar up at Cummings skyway between HWY 4 and HWY 80. You could fly for hours and hours and hours on a single charge with the flying wings.

And John, let's just say there's stuff on the simulator I wouldn't try on a real one (at first)!!

Bruce holds some records for DS but for the life of me I do not recall. I know the world record is nearly 400mph and the turns were producing like 50 to 70 g's...

[youtube]WaQB16ZaNI4[/youtube]

houser said:

Some of my early R/C building/flying was a slope glider called the Super Cheetah. It had a roto-molded fuselage and ailerons with a covered foam wing. I loved how maneuverable it was compared to other gliders I had flown that did not have aileron control. I skuffed up that fuselage pretty well smokin' it in for landings when it got gusty. I used to fly it on "Windy Hill" at the top of Skyline in Woodside. There was a predictable valley wind that would come up in the afternoons and I'd fly on the Bay side of the slope. Great fun!

GreshamH said:
houser said:

Bruce holds some records for DS but for the life of me I do not recall. I know the world record is nearly 400mph and the turns were producing like 50 to 70 g's...
Yikes, too fast for me! I'm a pilot with a slow hand, a pilot with an easy touch....a pilot that takes his time...oh well....

Back