Cali Kid Corals

Raddogz's 120g Piece of Reef

Lesson Learned Number 4080

The past two days the water on the left side of my tank in the front has been slowly rising to the point where the water level was clearly touching the underside of the center brace (okay more like bathing it).

I yanked out the overflow drain pipe and it turns out that a Trochus snail had lodged itself in the pipe so the water flow going through the drain was severely restricted. It affected the right side of the overflow as it was having a hard time keeping up with this excess water (the water level rose inside the overflow box by half an inch).

I thought it was the snail (I've always known that the snail was in the overflow and left it alone thinking it was doing it's job), and considered fixed.

So last night I'm cleaning the tank and again notice that the same darn thing. I pull out the drain pipe again (btw, this is one reason not to glue them in), and no obstruction. I decide to clean out the pipe with a bottle brush - yucky scum came out - blech! I put everything back, and inspect the stand again and it's pretty level except for the front left corner but it's pretty minor i.e. it's not dead center within the bubble level.

I'm freaking out now, and don't get much sleep last night thinking how in the hell am I going to dismantle this tank and it's occupants. The gears are turning very quickly at this point in time, and getting sadder by the moment as I am pondering all of this.

I wake up this morning hoping the reefing gods have decided to make this miraculous soon to be flood go away. Apparently no such luck! I'm just about to walk out the door when as I am admiring the clarity of me scraping away the algae - Yah! - but notice the water lapping right up under the center brace - Boo! I also notice that I can see through the overflow slots on the right-side overflow (front and interior side - I have corner overflows), but can't see through the left-side overflow slots.

Side note: for those who do not know the tank resides in a corner where the left side of the tank is up against a wall and window.

Can it be that easy???????????

I go and get a brush and clean out each overflow slot, and the water goes rushing in and the water level subsides a bit.

Yes, it really was that easy.

The lesson learned is to make sure you inspect and clean out overflow slots and overflow boxes when you can as it can lead to unnecessary worries.

Hehehe, one precise reason I don't like teeth on an overflow, sure they'll help stop fish/snails/whatever but if they get gunked up they literally don't exist any more and you restrict the flow that much.

I never made it part of my maintenance routine but I guess it will be now.

It's great now. I turned the Vortec all the way back up - lol

New updates - the last dragon faced pipefish disappeared (body never found) and haven't seen it for a few weeks now. Nuked a few aiptasia with Blue Life Aiptasia Control. It seemed to nuke them good - dissolved the bodies, but the verdict is out.

Time for an update

Changed my ER 8-2 skimmer with Eheim needlewheel for a Bubblemaster 200 - luv it

Now onto some new pics:

Birdsnest from TubeRider

Smaller colony
IMG_1981-1.jpg

Larger colony
IMG_1985-1.jpg

Full tank shot
IMG_1996-1.jpg

Random Shots -

IMG_1997-1.jpg

IMG_2005-1.jpg

Orange Polyp Green Body but now with bluish tips - weird