got ethical husbandry?

Red Sea 350 Beginner Tank

Today is a sad day and it’s not the post I planned on doing but it must be done. Today we lost Feddy a valves Snowflake clown. He chose to swim to close to a powerhead and ended up being stuck on the power head. He left behind his beloved friend Kevin also a snowflake clown. We must morn the lost.
Got hom from work and discovered him glued to the fish guard and not moving after being removed from it. He was kinda staying low in the tank the past week and just in the corner not eating really. He sadly didn’t make it. Didn’t show any signs of illness at all.
My tank is as follows and I’m planning on doing a water change tmrw to bring up some numbers since I’m currently not dosing. Any thoughts or ideas why he passed? Do I need to restart with a pair of snowflakes? Can I buy a single one and they’ll get along just fin

Salinity:1.026

Temperature:76.6F

Nitrate:10-25

Nitrite:0.10

Magnesium:0.20/1200

Calcium:0.18/410

KH/Alkalinity:0.40/9.30

Phosphate:0.00/0

R.I.P Freddy

Attachments

• B8FD06F7-A0B3-498B-AC27-245445DCFF72.jpeg
    B8FD06F7-A0B3-498B-AC27-245445DCFF72.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 148
Today is a sad day and it’s not the post I planned on doing but it must be done. Today we lost Feddy a valves Snowflake clown. He chose to swim to close to a powerhead and ended up being stuck on the power head. He left behind his beloved friend Kevin also a snowflake clown. We must morn the lost.
Got hom from work and discovered him glued to the fish guard and not moving after being removed from it. He was kinda staying low in the tank the past week and just in the corner not eating really. He sadly didn’t make it. Didn’t show any signs of illness at all.
My tank is as follows and I’m planning on doing a water change tmrw to bring up some numbers since I’m currently not dosing. Any thoughts or ideas why he passed? Do I need to restart with a pair of snowflakes? Can I buy a single one and they’ll get along just fin

Salinity:1.026

Temperature:76.6F

Nitrate:10-25

Nitrite:0.10

Magnesium:0.20/1200

Calcium:0.18/410

KH/Alkalinity:0.40/9.30

Phosphate:0.00/0

R.I.P Freddy
Sorry to hear about the loss. ☹️ Perhaps it was due to internal injuries and stress. Or already something was wrong and he was weak, which made him unable to swim away from the powerhead. I’ll be following to see what others have to say about adding another snowflake…

2273022C-48FB-4074-A9E7-E49C6ABC7736.jpeg

Today the sump was finally completed next part is the right side and getting the wires organize and also making room for adding dosing in the future whenever that is needed, so far so good with the tank expect that sad snowflake. I still have not replaced him or moved the other one because I feel attached to the clown. My corals from the Swap are doing well and starting to grow and open up wonderfully. Got some frog spawn to add to the tank.

Attachments

• 240EE576-8895-4207-875A-8512F626305A.jpeg
    240EE576-8895-4207-875A-8512F626305A.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 143
  • AC155242-1F2A-40A7-A4C1-EFEE3121F324.jpeg
    AC155242-1F2A-40A7-A4C1-EFEE3121F324.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 146
  • E4CE020E-BAE5-436E-8774-A0E50753DC55.jpeg
    E4CE020E-BAE5-436E-8774-A0E50753DC55.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 150
  • F97C87FE-7E28-4A46-928C-2C98DD0D9E22.jpeg
    F97C87FE-7E28-4A46-928C-2C98DD0D9E22.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 148
Today starts the long and fun battle with the ugly stage in my tank. It is not bad but its time to invest into move algae eaters than i have.

Today starts the long and fun battle with the ugly stage in my tank. It is not bad but its time to invest into move algae eaters than i have.
I love my tangs, rabbitfish and lawnmower blennies! They grow with your algae problem and the only downside is needing to feed nori when your algae runs out. Looks like you got more room for filtering rock in the sump if you want that.

Go to Reefcleaners.org and let John make you a custom tank cleaning package. 100% the way to go. When you look at the list you'll think do I really need that many? Yes, you do.

I love my tangs, rabbitfish and lawnmower blennies! They grow with your algae problem and the only downside is needing to feed nori when your algae runs out. Looks like you got more room for filtering rock in the sump if you want that.
Filtering rock is just live rock right?
Go to Reefcleaners.org and let John make you a custom tank cleaning package. 100% the way to go. When you look at the list you'll think do I really need that many? Yes, you do.
Yeah, I saw what he recommended for my tank and was taken back by the amount of stuff. But it seems like it works because it is not the first time he has been mentioned.

Welcome to BAR, @RSR4Roy , you are very fortunate to start with an awesome tank!
I'd like to reiterate two pieces of advice that I received when I started my tank - go slow, and do not add to many things too quickly to your tank.

If you have any questions along your way, feel free to ask on here, however insignificant you may feel it is!

Welcome to BAR, @RSR4Roy , you are very fortunate to start with an awesome tank!
I'd like to reiterate two pieces of advice that I received when I started my tank - go slow, and do not add to many things too quickly to your tank.

If you have any questions along your way, feel free to ask on here, however insignificant you may feel it is!
Go slow, but when you get the algae/diatoms for the clean up crew, it is time to add them.

I will go slow will algae killers because if i do not have enough in the tank they will all die.

I also would like suggest for an auto feeder that can feed two times a day dry pellets? I need a little automation due to work shifting.

Hello everyone sorry about the long delay in updating my journal. I Have been extremely busy with work and have had a part in whets been going on lately.
My tank is currently stocked with:
1 pair of snowflake clowns(yes had to replace the single one just to make sure they got along)
5 Pj Cardinals
1 X-Mas Wrasse
1 Mystery Wrasse
1 Purple Tang
1 Blue Eye Tang
Unknown snails, hermits

I currently have a few strong pieces of corals that I have been able to grow and flourish. I did lose some from the coral swap but now mostly everything is growing in the tank. I have one massive green hammer that is growing and has added at least two new heads since I got it at the trade. The hammer when i first added it was not happy with the type of flow i had in my tank till I turned my pumps to random flow. Once I did this the hammer started to really open up and start flourish. I have a green torch i also got. The Torch seems to be growing and doing okay not as well as the hammer. Ironically the torch was better with the consistent water flow verse the random flows i currently have going.. I am looking to move it to a new location and see if that helps it come more alive. The utter chaos I received from the trade only had one polyp and since grown to five polyps. The polyps i broke down with @H2OPlayar have grown and are around 7-9 polyps. They also have extended move towards the surface showing they need more lighting and not be on the sandy bottom. I have somehow maintained and to knowledge not killed the space invader chalice and I am hoping it maintains to be happy and grow. I also have some neon green candy cane which is doing very well and growing amazing. I have since added peach frogspawn and green frogspawn. The peach one has finally opened up in a way and not so closed. I also picked up from the trade Forest Fire Montipora digitata. The digitata is doing well I have not seen any new encrusting but also it has not dead it seems to be maintaining size. The green frogspawn since I got it as added a head. I am still battling with algae which is why I have not attached pictures. I have red slime algae and can not seem to beat it. I have removed it by hand the snails seem to pick it but I can not beat it. Any advice on how to beat red slime algae very much welcomed.

Sorry I haven’t been active. Work has been very busy lately. A quick update I left for a four day trip and my auto feeder failed dumped all the food into the tank killing all the fish.
That sucks man. Sorry to hear that. What auto feeder was it?

It was the EHEIM Everyday fish feeder. I got in July brand new and it already failed. I thought it was a good brand after doing research and reading others post.
Sorry to hear that :(
What was the failure mode?
Did it keep turning continuously? Or did the feeding container fall off?

Back