Neptune Aquatics

Rostatos Reefer 450 and Reefer 170

Yeh maybe you right. I was thinking of couple factors, no more sand, which might mean less ca buffer.
with larger volume, dilution is more and coral access to the supplement is slightly less accessible...I thought that's why supplements specify dosing amount per volume unit, more volume, more dose...no?
And as you also rightfully said more surface area might mean more caroline algae and which sucks in alk further..
But you have a good point...time will tell.

I’ve been bare bottom for a while. No sand in the 250. I’ll never use sand again.

I’ve been bare bottom for a while. No sand in the 250. I’ll never use sand again.
Oh, I thought with the new build you changed to no sand..thatd a relief, honestly I was worried you moved from sand bed to bb, I was worried about the bio filtration reduction.
That's good, hopefully no mini cycle will be triggered.
Still coral will go thru a bit of adjustment period but should pass smoothly.

It’s true you will have to add more to raise a larger volume from say 7 dkh to 8 than a smaller volume, but it won’t actually use more.
I think directions are based on gal of system cause that’s a more concrete measurement than bio load/rate of coral growth.

It’s true you will have to add more to raise a larger volume from say 7 dkh to 8 than a smaller volume, but it won’t actually use more.
I think directions are based on gal of system cause that’s a more concrete measurement than bio load/rate of coral growth.
Yeh that's a good point. To raise a certain ppm dosage is more, but in term of delta(coral consumption) we will expect same addition is needed if everything else stays the same (no other consumption sources)
Great point..

You mentioned before you sometimes dose with Lugol’s solution for iodine supplementation. Although they sell it for that, it isn’t recommended because about a third of the iodine in Lugol’s is the very toxic reactive elemental form I2. That’s what makes it useful as a dip and disinfectant, it reacts with and kills whatever organics it touches. The other 2/3rds is potassium iodide which is fine.

There are much better supplements on the market that contain iodide salts and iodate complexes. These are non-toxic forms and are the forms taken up biologically anyway.

The I2 will react very quickly with some organic in your tank and be neutralized, but why take the risk that the organic destroyed in the process is part of the surface of a coral/fish/etc?

Yeah I used it for a bit. I had zero iodine and all my zoas looked horrible. I was dosing one drop into the tank everyday. Pretty minimal. This was due to an experiment with doing zero water changes for 3 months.

I currently plan to just keep my two week water change routine because it seems to work best for me.

But you have me intrigued about trying triton.

I broke down and swapped out the side xr15’s for gen 4 xr30 pros thanks to @Twisted again. This is going to be much better for the SPS grow out I’m goi g to try for.

the 3 xr15’s would have been enough for a mixed reef, but not for mostly SPS
F51051D6-F957-481F-A151-3EF0E9AF5289.jpeg

Have you tried putting the vortechs on the back wall? Seems like that would give you different flow patterns (maybe more diverse) without losing the flownin the long direction since you have the gyres on the sides

Have you tried putting the vortechs on the back wall? Seems like that would give you different flow patterns (maybe more diverse) without losing the flownin the long direction since you have the gyres on the sides

That is probably what I would do.

I broke down and swapped out the side xr15’s for gen 4 xr30 pros thanks to @Twisted again. This is going to be much better for the SPS grow out I’m goi g to try for.

the 3 xr15’s would have been enough for a mixed reef, but not for mostly SPSView attachment 14959

Yeah slacker. I have 3 XR15 on my reefer 250! Now you’ll need to dose more. ;)

I’m not sure where to put them yet. I just put them on the sides until we finish the aquascape. We are only half way done.

Trying to sell out Digitata colonies first then scape.

Well. Traded the old Reefer 250 and some ASD Leprechauns for

3p aoi zoas
3p Illuminati zoas
3p stratosphere zoas
1p super star zoas
1p black orchid zoas
1p gran master Krakatoa zoa

Dipping now.

F74CEB8B-EDA4-4071-8022-4C8646F83219.jpeg

Back