Neptune Aquatics

Ryan’s 40G first reef

That doesn't look like coraline...
Here is a shot of coralline starting in my tank. It is easier to see in daylight vs your reef lights, so try a flashlight. Kinda looks like purple water color painted on the rocks for me. It can also show us ad dots on glass etc, but they should be purple/pink.

If rock is covered in algae of another type, it is getting out competed hence the recommendation to cut lights back. Coralline will grow under over hangs, so little light is needed for it.

Attachments

• A934AC63-6CF7-4AE7-9B9A-E8916B2CA730.jpeg
    A934AC63-6CF7-4AE7-9B9A-E8916B2CA730.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 81
  • B12618BC-F854-4C07-8783-E7D898C07674.jpeg
    B12618BC-F854-4C07-8783-E7D898C07674.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 86
Coralline is growing on month 2 with no seeding besides frags and snails. Makes me feel like a bit better of a reef keeper. All remaining sps (monti and stylo) are visibly growing.
I may not be able to keep acros for a while but this is promising.

Coralline is growing on month 2 with no seeding besides frags and snails. Makes me feel like a bit better of a reef keeper. All remaining sps (monti and stylo) are visibly growing.
I may not be able to keep acros for a while but this is promising.
There yah go. Achievement unlocked! When you can scrape some off, let it distribute around your tank to spread it more.

PAR: Sandbed is 130-160, frag rack is at 180-200, top of arch is 220-250. 100% blues 10% everything else.

I noticed some red slime on the sand but I blew it off before I remembered to take a picture. Hopefully it’s not cyano.

Bryopsis is dying off thanks to Reef Flux. All corals and creatures seem unaffected.

PAR: Sandbed is 130-160, frag rack is at 180-200, top of arch is 220-250. 100% blues 10% everything else.

I noticed some red slime on the sand but I blew it off before I remembered to take a picture. Hopefully it’s not cyano.

Bryopsis is dying off thanks to Reef Flux. All corals and creatures seem unaffected.
It's cyano. Don't use anything. Just keep blowing or siphoning it off and let it burn its self out.

Have found 2 medium snails jamming up my return pump in 3 days. I’m running it with no intake guard because my AIO chamber is no larger than my pump sans guard.
Any ideas to keep snails out? They’re crawling over the top of the aio into the pump chamber. The baffles are too small for them to be getting in via the weir so it has to be up and over.

Have found 2 medium snails jamming up my return pump in 3 days. I’m running it with no intake guard because my AIO chamber is no larger than my pump sans guard.
Any ideas to keep snails out? They’re crawling over the top of the aio into the pump chamber. The baffles are too small for them to be getting in via the weir so it has to be up and over.
Classic battle of Man vs Mollusk!

I have a guard that I run usually on my return pump inlet.

Just be careful of what chemicals you add to your aquarium. Side effects don’t show up right away. It takes a few months. Example is chemiclean. To get rid of cyano. But Dino’s will follow.

Back