got ethical husbandry?

Ryan’s 40G first reef

"no disrespect" doesn't make your comment less disrespectful.

OP is learning lessons the hard way, that can be tough to watch but your comment isn't constructive in any way.

I'm slowing WAY down and implementing as much of the advice from BAR as I can! See my recent journal update below.
To everyone I've annoyed with my journal: your advice is slowly taking hold.

I'm slowing WAY down and implementing as much of the advice from BAR as I can! See my recent journal update below.
Some of the best long term BAR advice is within the first 5-6 pages. Most of that foreseen advice mentioned has become reality now in the tank as with many tanks. The later pages seem to be Q&A reactions which is great and helpful but not to be discouraged in the hobby..Thanks for your tank journal !!! Hopefully other hobbiests that are experiencing the same issues will take in some of the advice !.
How's that Koi pond ?? Wondering if you tossed in any mosquitoe minnows? They eat the larva before they have a chance to fly..

Ryan,

I want to let you know that I deleted my post. I apologize for my disrespectful/negative comment.

Happy Reefing!
-Devon
I was just confused by it as I do love reefing and am trying to provide the best habitat I can for my aquatic animals.
I appreciate the apology, happy reefing!

I was just confused by it as I do love reefing and am trying to provide the best habitat I can for my aquatic animals.
I appreciate the apology, happy reefing!
Well played!! that's one of my peeves 'loving too much" !! hard to keep the hands off and dry at times instead of just letting it roll when it should

Ed called me and offered a purple firefish and a geometric pygmy hawkfish. I'm still waiting on some sort of goby and a pinked streaked wrasse.

B80BD4D8-7FAC-46BB-B525-8A21CE1BE60E.jpeg
54898B63-8BFB-4F9D-ACBD-AF008D69FE16.jpeg

Hawkfish is settling into a cave. Firefish came out to eat Reef Frenzy. I’m using a lid.

Cyano is dying off thanks to 2x pellet feedings per day. I never thought I would be excited to see GHA on my sand.

F6A06A27-C80A-4D8B-8417-08813ABC42DB.jpeg

Last edited:
BCA7F3CE-6EDF-4517-8CCC-0FCF1E8FE430.jpeg
80630115-1637-4F3A-8874-4EAA26A579EC.jpeg

Sand looks worse on camera than in person. Cyano only in low flow zones. Bryopsis is clearing up. Sunday is the last day of treatment then I can WC.

What are some cool LPS I could get to tide myself over until I'm ready for SPS? I really like gonis but I've heard they're moderate difficulty.
I slimmed down my sps collection by giving away an anacro that wasnt happy in my tank.

Some of the best long term BAR advice is within the first 5-6 pages. Most of that foreseen advice mentioned has become reality now in the tank as with many tanks. The later pages seem to be Q&A reactions which is great and helpful but not to be discouraged in the hobby..Thanks for your tank journal !!! Hopefully other hobbiests that are experiencing the same issues will take in some of the advice !.
How's that Koi pond ?? Wondering if you tossed in any mosquitoe minnows? They eat the larva before they have a chance to fly..
So the funny thing is his koi pond isn't a mosquito factory but his swimming pool is. I kid you not, the pool is more green than the fish pond. 3 seconds in there and you'll probably be patient zero for a disease named after you haha

I bet you could stay thoroughly entertained for many months with some "weed" corals like kenya tree or GSP, or zoas like @newfly and @Srt4eric have said. No need to fear them becoming pests if you give them their own island to grow on.

Firefish and hawkfish are still alive! Yay! I replaced my clown with a heavy heart. This one is the same size and seems to get along much better.

I would get some GSP. GSP is super cool looking, grows relatively fast, and it's super hardy. Just keep it on its own island so you don't have to worry about getting it off your main rocks in the future. It's not hip, outside of huge fields of it, but F that noise it's still very cool looking.

Xenia also looks awesome. It's constantly moving. However, I pulled it all out of my main tank once I learned the little pieces it occasionally drops can grow more Xenia, thereby spreading like dandelions. So that's a risk, but probably low.

Clove polyps also are cool. I don't know if they can propagate in the water column.

Zoas are the next obvious choice. They can look amazing. You just need to be cool having a potentially lethal toxin producer sitting in water in your house in an earthquake zone.

Most of those aren't lps, but keep in mind if you just keep them on islands you can use them to mess around with coral while the tank stabilizes, and then if you want you can always pull them out and trade them for other stuff.

Back