High Tide Aquatics

Ryan’s 40G first reef

I’m hyped, @Srt4eric ’s indo gold torch decided to begin splitting into 4 heads from a single! Not only did it not die, it’s growing.
Good indicator for my tank as torches are harder than hammers.

For those with companion nanos to their main display tanks: do you maintain it as an entirely separate system? Or can you WC from the main tank into the nano assuming params are good? Not planning anything for a few months.

For those with companion nanos to their main display tanks: do you maintain it as an entirely separate system? Or can you WC from the main tank into the nano assuming params are good? Not planning anything for a few months.
Unless they are plumbed together treat them as the different systems that they are.

Noticed a bit of bubble algae on some frag plugs. I squirted a few ML of 3% h2o2 the algae out of water but it didn’t seem to knock it back. Do I need some sort of CUC for bubble algae now?

Microbacter Clean works wonders for me for bubble algae. Not so much for regular gha
If you can remove the plug and brush peroxide on it directly, it will def kill it.

Just take the plug out of the tank, remove the bubble algae. You can paint on some H2O2 if you want to make sure you got everything. Bubble Algae is pretty easy to stay on top of as they can be siphoned out in a WC and don't spread very fast. You are doing great with your maintenance, so just keep it up.

I usually have pulled them out of the tank and carefully removed them whole with tweezers without popping the bubbles if possible.

Emerald crabs also work to some extent, but manual removal before they spread is the best way. I tend to like female ones as they (anecdotally) seem to be less aggressive.

I usually have pulled them out of the tank and carefully removed them whole with tweezers without popping the bubbles if possible.

Emerald crabs also work to some extent, but manual removal before they spread is the best way. I tend to like female ones as they (anecdotally) seem to be less aggressive.
I pop mine in the tank with no ill effect. :) Maybe i got lucky.

Alk has dropped from 9.4 on sunday to 8.6 today. I'm still dosing 10ML/day of AFR but I believe the doser skips 24h every time its unplugged as last week my alk was stable at my current dosing.

Bryopsis has reappears, FML. Had the correct amount (plus 25%) of Reef HD Flux on hand so lets see if a slight overdose actually kills it this time.

Last edited:
Some positives:
Rainbow acan appears to be growing new heads underneith. All gonis are growing. Torch and purple hammer are splitting. All SPS is alive and slowly growing.
I like to complain on here to get advice and learn but I'd say overall my tank could be doing a hell of a lot worse (knocks on wood).

Bryopsis has reappears, FML. Had the correct amount (plus 25%) of Reef HD Flux on hand so lets see if a slight overdose actually kills it this time.

FYI, if you do continue using fluconazole, know that there are many reefers that have used 4x the dose of fluconazole recommended for the purpose of taking care of bubble algae with no ill effects. I have done so myself a couple of times.

FYI, if you do continue using fluconazole, know that there are many reefers that have used 4x the dose of fluconazole recommended for the purpose of taking care of bubble algae with no ill effects. I have done so myself a couple of times.
@kr

Randy: what’s your experience with fluc for GHA?

@kr

Randy: what’s your experience with fluc for GHA?

I haven’t ever used fluconazole for GHA. GHA, thankfully, has only once been at an infestation level once and I was able to tame that naturally after a long battle.

For bubble algae though, it definitely helped knock it back down, but it didn’t quite get rid of it all with a single 4x dose. A second dose probably would have done so and I regret not doing so at the time.

$1 1/4” bulkhead + water bottle = super cheap temporary AFR dosing container. I’ll buy a glass water bottle and swap it over soon.
CDE82DF1-B76A-421D-8140-895D374A00B7.jpeg

Back