Neptune Aquatics

Ryan’s 40G first reef

$1 1/4” bulkhead + water bottle = super cheap temporary AFR dosing container. I’ll buy a glass water bottle and swap it over soon.View attachment 39893
By my place Lucky's carries the VOSS water bottles by the front door in one hard to find fridge.. Also do does SFO funny enough. I bought 5 bottles when I stumbled across them at SFO, before I found the special stash at Lucky's.

I think these are perfect honestly. Good size.
Glass. Super cheap (relatively).

Then when you want to swap a new bottle in you just take the top off, bring a new bottle over, put it in. You don't need to carry around any dump jugs.

PXL_20220702_231221117.jpg

By my place Lucky's carries the VOSS water bottles by the front door in one hard to find fridge.. Also do does SFO funny enough. I bought 5 bottles when I stumbled across them at SFO, before I found the special stash at Lucky's.

I think these are perfect honestly. Good size.
Glass. Super cheap (relatively).

Then when you want to swap a new bottle in you just take the top off, bring a new bottle over, put it in. You don't need to carry around any dump jugs.

View attachment 39896
Exactly what I plan to do!

I need to get a mag stir-er, I added more RODI than required but it won’t fully mix.View attachment 39907
You have to shake it for a long time. You shouldn't need a stirrer, though that'd work. Also make sure you add powder to water, not water to powder.

Oh, and know those bottles don't hold 1L of water. It's more like 800ml.

I mixed mine by putting the bottle on a scale, tare it, add water towards the top, weight in grams is volume in ml, add equivalent powder, shake a bazillion times, top off with water.

I personally made multiple bottles at once, since afaik there's no issue with storing it.

You have to shake it for a long time. You shouldn't need a stirrer, though that'd work. Also make sure you add powder to water, not water to powder.

Oh, and know those bottles don't hold 1L of water. It's more like 800ml.

I mixed mine by putting the bottle on a scale, tare it, add water towards the top, weight in grams is volume in ml, add equivalent powder, shake a bazillion times, top off with water.

I personally made multiple bottles at once, since afaik there's no issue with storing it.
I was eventually able to get it to clear up minus a little powder on the bottom. I'm adding 75% of the recommended power as the bottles are around 800ML. I do add powder to water.
055E864E-0671-43C0-B333-BB837D88CAE2.jpeg
1E2E6A49-164E-47F4-A0AA-67B906EAB45B.jpeg

Please excuse the messy stand.

Just noticed several snails covered in bubble algae. I pulled one and gave its shell a h2o2 scrub. Looks like I’ll have to keep doing that. I hope it doesn’t take over my tank. :(

I had a big outbreak of bubble algae myself. I added Emerald crabs and they have knocked it out with the exception of a few larger bubbles. But they can be removed pretty easily. I think they are 3 for $18 at AC. Well worth it IMO

I had a big outbreak of bubble algae myself. I added Emerald crabs and they have knocked it out with the exception of a few larger bubbles. But they can be removed pretty easily. I think they are 3 for $18 at AC. Well worth it IMO
I’m heavily considering it, thanks for the recommendation! The only reason I’m hesitant is that I was advised at the start on the journal to avoid emerald crabs as they can pick at LPS.

All, I just noticed my purple firefish is missing the middle part of his tail. Who nipped it off? Or is it fin rot? He's still eating and swimming fine. Do I setup a hospital tank? Just maintain good water params? HELP!

My goby has unpaired with my pistol shrimp. They saw each other during feeding and the shrimp snapped at the goby. Wtf, I thought they pair for life?

To make it worse, my return pump was making a noise and I just found my tiger pistol minced in the pump impeller. I don’t think it was a molt. His den also has a passage left open. Why the fuck he would go into my filter when he lived under a rock for 3 months, I don’t know.
His Yasha goby friend is also missing. Out $100 in livestock overnight.

Last edited:
Grabbed a replacement tiger pistol shrimp from a bar member! Unfortunately I was informed that it has a taste for aquarium fish during pickup so if anyone goes missing, the shrimp is going to Ed @ Clear Water.

Picked up some euphyllia from @H2OPlayar! NY Knicks torch, toxic splatter hammer, gold hammer, splatter purple and green. Also got a baby sun coral and a red monti. They’re not fully open just yet after dipping them too strongly.
54BEA023-00D0-4761-86F1-7B17CFA503ED.jpeg

F961A3AC-C14C-4E93-AF93-1CC89D92435B.jpeg

Gee thanks AliExpress. Doser head #1 was obliterated inside. Replacement won’t arrive in time. Now I won’t be able to dose more then AFR on vacation.
0A9980E5-9A53-4B30-A6AE-4CACBF82EAAA.jpeg

Back