Kessil

SF tank tour? March 11th?

If anyone is looking for a ride...

I live in the mission about 6 blocks from 16th St BART and one block from the Valencia F market stop.

Cheers!

Some things to make sure you don't forget...

1) Camera, lots of pictures will be needed

2) Your batteries recharged tonight!

3) Snow chains!

;)

In front of my garage
snow1ur.jpg

The street... unfortunately its starting to melt :(
street6jn.jpg

Hey all, I have plenty of pics from the tank tour. Do any hosts object to posting them here? In the meanwhile, I'm happy to forward pics to any that participated.

Cheers!

cwolfus said:
Hey all, I have plenty of pics from the tank tour. Do any hosts object to posting them here? In the meanwhile, I'm happy to forward pics to any that participated.

Cheers!

Post away! :D

Alright, here are my pictures, I'm not the best with taking them, and I didn't take a terribly large amount, but hey something to look at :)

Here are the other tanks that were on the tour, Eileen's & Arnold's, I didn't take any pictures of my own tank, but I'm sure others did. These are rather small because I wanted to use the image without a flash so you get a more true color of what is seen, unfortunately they're a tad blurry as a result. so my idea is a smaller picture doesn't look as blurry :)

Eileen- 58 gallon glass tank 36" x 18" x 21" (if memory serves)
eileen13pi.jpg

eileen22zm.jpg

Arnold- 120g acrylic tank, 4' x 2' x 2'
arnold12ku.jpg

arnold29xo.jpg

Some pictures of the Steinhart behind the scene's tour.

They are starting up with some frags from the Waikiki (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) Aquarium in Hawaii in order to grow them out for the largest reef tank in the world (225,000 gallon volume, although the actual amount of water in the tank is only going to be about 108,000 gallons IRC, which means a buttload of rock and other structures!). Well they have 2 years to start growing out as many frags as possible, this tank is going to be quite eco-friendly in the sense they dont want to take from the reefs at all (atleast for corals). They literally got these frags within the past couple days (maybe week) as all the styro crates were still stacked up, they're in grape holding bins that are about 4 feet by 4 feet by 2-2.5 feet deep and each has a 1000watt MH bulb over it (with a luminarc too!) unfortunately 1) the lights weren't on, and 2) they had lots of flow through them so the surface was rippling too much to get any detail shots, but you can still see the coloration how great it is.. and this is with a flash!
frag13dc.jpg

frag26nj.jpg

frag31ed.jpg

frag49yy.jpg

Here's some of the equipment from the place
A couple rather large calcium reactors, 10 feet tall! Those red marks are were the media was stacked too... and that was only 4 month ago.
calciumreactor1kw.jpg

Here was one of the chillers, big and bulky looking. Infact this wasn't as impressive as the one for the pengiun area, because the minute you stepped into the area with that one the ambient temp just near the chiller was quite a bit cooler.
chiller1zo.jpg

Now THAT is a skimmer, I think Peter said it was 15 feet tall, eitherway that collection cup is larger than a rubbermaid garbage can!
jumboskimmer5hf.jpg

Here's one of two sumps that the water goes into before the jumbo skimmer, these are 10 feet tall, and I forget how round, but I believe that the volume was 15000 gallons each or somewhere in that range. It provided some mechanical prefiltering before the skimmer (I wouldn't want to have to clean out that collection cup... I'd rather clean out a portapotty at the state fair!)
sump2ue.jpg

Finally in an attempt to get some nice pictures without water rippling Arnold tried to shut off the return, unfortunately he wasn't strong enough ;)
shutoff2ts.jpg

Here's more...

SFSUPHYSICS got us started...

mini-DSC_0003.jpg

mini-DSC_0004.jpg

mini-DSC_0008.jpg

Then on to Andyman's (no pics allowed) :-(
Then we went to the New York Buffalo wings place and the new store on Lombard

Then to Raddogz...
mini-DSC_0013.jpg

mini-DSC_0017.jpg

mini-DSC_0021.jpg

mini-DSC_0025.jpg

mini-DSC_0027.jpg

mini-DSC_0028.jpg

mini-DSC_0031.jpg

Then APON's...
mini-DSC_0038.jpg

mini-DSC_0041.jpg

mini-DSC_0045.jpg

mini-DSC_0047.jpg

mini-DSC_0053.jpg

mini-DSC_0054.jpg

And then Steinhart...

mini-DSC_0065.jpg

mini-DSC_0067.jpg

Then the real tour began...

mini-DSC_0071.jpg

mini-DSC_0078.jpg

mini-DSC_0080.jpg

mini-DSC_0087.jpg

mini-DSC_0090.jpg

And I have MANY more! If any of the hosts weant more pics of their tanks (and others) PM you email and i will send you the zip.

Cheers!

Hey everyone, great to meet you all on Saturday. Please let me know if you have any additional questions about the Steinhart and I will do my best to post answers here. From the pics posted from the tank tour, looks like I will certianly have to attend the next one!

Also, just a quick correction on the main reef tank volume for the new Academy, it will be approx 180,000 gallons, not 108,000. I don't want to get in trouble with the Aquarium folks! : )

Hope to have you all back in six months when we have more grow out tanks up and running.

Best, Peter

A few pics of the Steinhart tour. Mostly repeats of the stuff already posted.

Deionizing columns
DSCN0956.jpg

1000 pound bag of Instant Ocean salt. Comes with 1 free Arnold.
Much better than the Coralife T-shirt :)
DSCN0958.jpg

Frag grow out tanks.
DSCN0959.jpg

Future colonies for the big reef exhibit in 2 years
DSCN0960.jpg

Reefy people :)
DSCN0963.jpg

Heater chambers overhead
DSCN0962.jpg

Thinking about smelling the skimmate :)
DSCN0964.jpg

Better than a SeaClone :)