Jestersix

Shit - tank crashing

Because it crash after water change, try to calibrate the refractometer and test the salinity level first. I ran into this issue once before with a bad calibration fluid. If Salinity too high or too low, it disaster.

Because it crash after water change, try to calibrate the refractometer and test the salinity level first. I ran into this issue once before with a bad calibration fluid. If Salinity too high or too low, it disaster.
That’s the only way I can think alk got to 15.7 (if that’s actually accurate, which I kinda doubt)

One other thought - a heater shattered in my mixing bin for saltwater. Caused me a shock (literally)

Any reason that could contribute?

Going to be rebuilding most likely so stay tuned for plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s the only way I can think alk got to 15.7 (if that’s actually accurate, which I kinda doubt)

It showed 1.00 last night on fresh water—but I will try this later today.

Refractometer has been mostly trustworthy but who knows!!!

One other thought - a heater shattered in my mixing bin for saltwater. Caused me a shock (literally)

Any reason that could contribute?

Going to be rebuilding most likely so stay tuned for plan.

Oh man ofcourse it can. From contaminants to all kind of voltage(stray or direct ac)
Did u take it out? Any fragments left behind?

It was only in the mixing bin - but yeah I removed it. Added some heavy metal detoxifier into the tank just now too.

Nothing touched the livestock (except me) to get shocked!

Oh. What about the livestock - can they survive lower salinity?

I meant lower and still in the safe range, like 1.022-1.023 instead of 1.026, taking out SW and adding back freshwater will help cut your alk down until you can do a water change or add citric acid as Mike suggested. Or if your refractometer is measuring high it will cut your salinity closer to normal. If alk is that high from your salt mix then your salinity is probably too high...

Fair. But let’s just say I’d been mixing in this brute container for 2+ years without issue and did the same thing I normally do.

Absolutely should have measured alk but had no reason to think it would spike.

Fair. But let’s just say I’d been mixing in this brute container for 2+ years without issue and did the same thing I normally do.

Absolutely should have measured alk but had no reason to think it would spike.

These arguments really not good. With running things like that, it's all good until it's no longer. I do not mean to kick you when you down, my heart with you. Just emphasizing that at least a test every now and then will avoid you future mischiefs.
My heart with you man...

My thoughts on this is you had contaminated fresh water. Check TDS of your fresh water before mixing new batch of salt. Do 50% water change with the new water. Then another 50% in a week. Same thing happen to me just recently all my parameters are normal but my sps start dying. It didnt happen overnight but it was my RODI water.. When I check my RO water my TDS was 99. You should be less than 2. Good luck and happy reefing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hey team - thanks for your help and thoughts.

Go look at buy/sell/trade - planning to downgrade tank to a nano

My suggestion would be to maybe donate the corals to the next auction - maybe I can get some credit or something to stock my nano when I get it :).

@Alexx - those ricordia are yours man if you want them and if they survive.

Back