Kessil

Small sharks in 120 gallon

Roc

I know that for years we have all discussed how big does a tank need to be to house XYZ fish, and yet I have seen what would be considered over stocked or tanks to small home healthy larger fish for long periods of time.

I'm going to stay away from the posts that seem to imply they know how the fish feels while in that overstocked or tank that's to small, but was wondering how many ppl know of smaller sharks that can be bought young and homed for years in a 120 gallon 2x2x4 tank with little else inside and good water quality.

Well, first I say don't do it.
And definitely stay away from the species that require space to swim and glide.
No leopards, black tips, nurse, great whites...
But I think that a banded cat still in the egg case or a newly birthed epaulette could do very well

Well, first I say don't do it.
And definitely stay away from the species that require space to swim and glide.
No leopards, black tips, nurse, great whites...
But I think that a banded cat still in the egg case or a newly birthed epaulette could do very well
Yea I was thinking of a epaulette or small banded cat as good places to go, i have seen some successful bamboo sharks as well

Sorry, but 120G tank + sharks + "homed for years" just does not add up to me.

There are lots of other fun mid-size predators is you want an aggressive type tank.

Sorry, but 120G tank + sharks + "homed for years" just does not add up to me.

There are lots of other fun mid-size predators is you want an aggressive type tank.
Doesn't add up meaning what, I ask because for YEARS everyone said it was the 1" (full size fish) per gallon, I had 3 fully grown tangs, 2 clowns, a starry bleeny, a wrasse and several chomis in this 120 and basicly no one ever said the tank was overstocked (but would be by the 1"per gallon rule). To me I'm not interested in unhealthy or dead fish, so I tend to go more towards what a tank can support. Tanks can be very different depending on hardscape, shape, flow, filtration, skimming, etc

Not commenting on the rule itself, but just wondering what you fed 3 tangs, 2 clowns, a bleeny, wrasse and chromis to get them to 120 inches.That would equate to a 12 inch clown-- bad ass!

Not commenting on the rule itself, but just wondering what you fed 3 tangs, 2 clowns, a bleeny, wrasse and chromis to get them to 120 inches.That would equate to a 12 inch clown-- bad ass!
Ask anyone who came and saw my tank, I had the largest healthiest tangs and fish you ever saw, and all my fish lived for over 8 years, Most of my tangs were about 10" to 12" so was my blenny and I had a school of 20 chomis alll 3" each

Doesn't add up meaning what, I ask because for YEARS everyone said it was the 1" (full size fish) per gallon, I had 3 fully grown tangs, 2 clowns, a starry bleeny, a wrasse and several chomis in this 120 and basicly no one ever said the tank was overstocked (but would be by the 1"per gallon rule). To me I'm not interested in unhealthy or dead fish, so I tend to go more towards what a tank can support. Tanks can be very different depending on hardscape, shape, flow, filtration, skimming, etc

Yeah, I get that, and I don't want to sound like the Tang-police, and I admit I have never personally raised a shark.

But look at the adult length of one of the smaller ones, like a coral catshark, and it seems to be 30 inches or so.
The banded bamboo shark is larger, at upwards of 40 inches.
Putting that size animal in a 24x24x48 box seems like a very obvious problem.
It is almost as long as the tank itself! Basic lack of swimming room, can barely turn around, etc.
Especially when you add rock, overflows, power heads, etc.

The pollution from a carnivore like that would be very significant as well of course.
But I tend to think the pollution part can be solved, although not without some significant work.

When they are young, sure, fine. But you mention keeping them for years.
And then I have to ask if you have a humane plan for dealing with them if they grow too large.

That said, there are probably a ton of different opinions on what their real final size will be,
especially in an aquarium situation.

Funny though: At 1" per gallon, you could technically have 4 sharks .... :confused:

Ask anyone who came and saw my tank, I had the largest healthiest tangs and fish you ever saw, and all my fish lived for over 8 years, Most of my tangs were about 10" to 12" so was my blenny and I had a school of 20 chomis alll 3" each

3 * 12" + 2 * 4" + 1 * 3" + 20 * 3" = 107", so you are 10% under a 1" per gallon target.

Ehh ... exact numbers are hardly important.
It does sound like you had a nice tank and know how to deal with fairly large bio-loads.
It was really the overall lengths that were my concern.

I would think having lots of smaller fish in an overstocked fashion is a bit different than having a single larger fish overstocked. I mean a 1" tang that has a max size of 12" will take quite a while to get there, even in a really large tank. Where as a 6" baby shark, will get larger at a much quicker rate. Plus looking at the last pictures in your old thread, those tangs don't look anywhere close to 10-12" if that is a standard 4x2x2 120g tank.

But judging by your first post, you really don't want to hear from anyone who's going to tell you don't do it. So whatever man.

3 * 12" + 2 * 4" + 1 * 3" + 20 * 3" = 107", so you are 10% under a 1" per gallon target.

Ehh ... exact numbers are hardly important.
It does sound like you had a nice tank and know how to deal with fairly large bio-loads.
It was really the overall lengths that were my concern.
I'm only interested in good husbandry

I'd mainly be concerned with the plan for what you'll do when it outgrows your tank? I always wider when I hear people say they'll get rid of it when it gets to big what they envision happening? Do they think a lfs wants a full size lion fish Or a Pacu? I can tell you pretty much always the answer is ABSOLUTELY NOT...

I'd mainly be concerned with the plan for what you'll do when it outgrows your tank? I always wider when I hear people say they'll get rid of it when it gets to big what they envision happening? Do they think a lfs wants a full size lion fish Or a Pacu? I can tell you pretty much always the answer is ABSOLUTELY NOT...
My plan if I got a fish that was to big for my tank would be to do 1 of 2 things, 1 try and convice the wife we need a bigger tank :) or give it to one of my friends who already have larger tanks. But honestly Im looking at ones that stay on the smaller size so i donno how much i would have to worry about it. Im also not sold on the idea cuz it would mean i may be able to only have one fish, and thats kinda boring

Back