Reef nutrition

Solar coming soon!

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
FINALLY got approval and my reservation request for San Francisco solar money. $10,750 from the city, and like $1,700 from PG&E, plus a 30% federal tax credit (Bryan I have some questions :D), will end up costing me when all is said and done about $4,000 for 3.24kW of panels installed! Weee!!! Looks like beginning of August things will push through too.

Although I laugh because here it is mid-July and I can't even see the Sun at 10am *sigh*...

Is that going to power just your aquarium? :LOL:

I was thinking of buying a solar panel, an inverter, and a deep cycle battery to power my light and chiller.

Is that going to power just your aquarium?
Well if I assume 4 hours of "usable" sunlight per day on average, 4hrs x 3.24kW = 12.96kWh per day production. 500W MH x 5.5hrs + 220W T5s x 8hrs + 110W T5 x 10hrs = 5.61kWh per day on just lighting (estimate). Plus there is pumps, heating, another tank... :D So yeah it's mostly for my tank, but you can apply it to your PG&E bill just look at the bottom where it says average usage per day, and see what 13kWh will do to that.

I'll be curious as to how much monthly savings you'll end up with.
My bills are not terribly high right now, I'm actually in PG&E CARE program, since I only work part time and the wife doesn't "officially" work. Basically it gives me two tiers for electricity, one at around 8 cents per kWh, and another at 9 cents per kWh, so there's no way these are going to do much to my bill, although with the new "smart" meters going in I'm sure my bill will increase. However, I got them simply due to the rebates (money) SF is literally throwing away on solar projects, and its not like I don't plan on making more money in the future, in fact I would happily pay more assuming I made a decent amount more than the reqs.

Is it too late to get in on the SF program? ~11k is not a bad incentive...
Maybe... maybe not, the money seems to dry up/get reserved really quickly, and it was dolled out on July 1, so you might be out of luck. However the 11k is only because I'm "low income" (which for SF is less than around $70k/yr!) and my neighborhood/CARE program. If you make more than $70k, then you won't get much of anything.

I went with a company called Luminalt, which I found through an organization called 1 block off the grid (1bog.org) basically they get a bunch of commitments for solar and it knocks the price down quite a bit (not just an SF thing on that)

hey don't make me put a meter on those cords! I can only sell back to PG&E at the lowest tier rates (ok I don't technically sell anything its just trading kWh, as I'm not sure I want to do TOU billing), but you're in tier 4+ I'll sell to you cheap, only 20c/kWh :D

Small update. Panels are STILL not up... the particular panel I was going for (the cheap one) was not available/backordered at the factory, they gave it a month, then just called and said its still not available, so they're going to upgrade to a SunPower panel at no charge. They're upwards of 50% more efficient (which means 50% less roof space).

So they said instead of 18-180watt panels, I'll get 16-215watt panels so 200 more watts, of a more expensive panel at no charge. AND they'll start installing in 2 weeks. They would start this Monday, but it is a holiday.

The double upside is the sun finally decided to come out :D

Man, I wish I could get a deal like yours. Even the best panels! Oh, to live in the City. But I do like the sun, though.

Does Solar work well in SF? There are several solar equipments at SF Airport and most of the time, they sit in the parking area.

sweet!
Your gonna love it!
And yes Phong, they do work in SF!
I've seen the meter spin backwards like crazy even in the Phog. :D

sfsuphysics said:
will end up costing me when all is said and done about $4,000 for 3.24kW of panels installed! Weee!!! Looks like beginning of August things will push through too.

Although I laugh because here it is mid-July and I can't even see the Sun at 10am *sigh*...

That is cheap. My 3.28kw setup cost me $20k after rebates.

seminolecpa said:
So john how stupid would it be to put in solar panels without redoing your roof it is is say 12 years old or so?

If it is a flat roof you probably should replace it.
Otherwise it depends on the quality of your roof.
It could be fine.

Back