Reef nutrition

Something's killing it, AEFW?

kinetic

Supporting Member
So there's a chance AEFW made it through my QT. I don't know what coral this is, but it's getting destroyed by something. Started to RTN recently. AEFW? I don't see any redbugs. Good thing all my corals are frags, I could pull them all out into a QT for awhile, hoping that the pest doesn't last long in the main display?

sounds like a good plan. Does the tissue breaks in the picture have any definite signs of it? or is it too hard to tell?

kinetic said:
sounds like a good plan. Does the tissue breaks in the picture have any definite signs of it? or is it too hard to tell?

It's hard to tell, there should be distinctive round bite marks, but as Norman said, a dip will let you know...

tuberider said:
kinetic said:

It's hard to tell, there should be distinctive round bite marks, but as Norman said, a dip will let you know...

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't notice any weird round bite marks, though there were strange tissue problems in various areas rather than from the base or tips etc.

After I finish my coffee I'll go dip. Working from home today, weee =)

OK, 500mL of tank water, 0.8mL of providone (the 10% one that I picked up at the last meeting).

I basted it lightly initially, nothing yet. saw a small white pod though, looks like a harmless one. I'll wait 20 minutes and baste again.

patchin said:
That's actually correct. When I talked to him, his was being repaired.

Correct at that time but he has his camera back now according to his post here: http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/7701?page=12

Yes, I'm an Art stalker :lol:

wow =) I don't even need to reply. Nice work.

Just got the camera back last night, it works! Wohoo!

Anyway, I will go take a picture tonight of the base. Should I bring it out of the water? It's starting to STN at the base a bit, so not sure if that'll show much. Anyway, I'll take a bunch of macros of it.

After the dip, I didn't see anything weird come off of it. I basted it a few times too. It's hard to see though, because the dip is yellow, and the AEFW are orange-ish right? If anything no big ones.

Well, I'll take a pic, brb.

Art I'm leaving for the weekend so you'll have to answer them till I get back :lol:

I find a minute or so out of water allows the acro flesh to expel some water and show the AEFW more :)

FWIW I dried out a colony that was infested and they now look like scabs on it :) Did the same when I had red bugs, they still look like red bugs :lol:

GreshamH said:
Art I'm leaving for the weekend so you'll have to answer them till I get back :lol:
I'm doomed!

Anyway, here's a shot of the base and part of the body that's dying. Sorry for the crap shots, handheld at super high ISO (2200 ISO to be exact) doesn't yield the best macro closeups. I was kind of far from the coral, and it was still in the water, so I couldn't get good 1:1. This is kind of a cropped look of the base:

Here is the part of the branch that's jacked up:

Those look like the skeleton structure, bite marks are generally bigger. If one came off during the dip you'd know it, they are rather large compared to other pests.

Back